Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PIGGY BANKS?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hubby and I save our change in an old wooden box...then move it to a large coffee can once the box gets a bit full.  Sometimes, hubby saves up dollar bills too. We usually end up giving it to one of our children for gas or other needs that they have, like college expenses.  

Do any of you keep piggy banks?  What type of container do you use?  What do you use the money for?

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrisSid9
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:24 AM
My husband has a piggy bank that is a old mayo jar lol he just rolled all the coins the other day and had $107. Took about 2 months to save up. We usually spend it on something fun to do. This time we went to a Japanese restaurant for sushi!! Thhis time around we are going to save the money for our family vacay to the ocean for spending money.
ohmommamia
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:25 AM
My little one has a piggy bank. We put our change in it and ever so often we take it to the bank and put it in the kids savings accounts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cclpmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I have a huge cup in my kitchen for loose change

tinamatt
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I keep a literal piggy bank.  I bought a blue piggy bank at Hobby lobby and dump all of our loose change into it.  When the bank gets full, I roll the change and put it into the bank.

This month, though, our loose change is going into a canister for our church's youth missions program.

michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:49 AM

We have a huge German beer stein for pennies.  When it's full, there is over $23 worth of pennies.  We have a milk jug for all other change. 

We bank our change.  No special purpose.

LovingMommyh00d
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM

We have a plastic jug that was once filled with cookies and we fill up with change.  Once it's full, we will go to either TD bank or Commerce to exchange it for cash (they don't charge you and you don't need an account with them)

kristinlimon
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:21 PM

We have a small coffee jar that we keep our change in. We either use it for laundry if we need quarters and the bank is closed. But our major plan is to save up for fun things on our next vacation. :)

mbrheil
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:24 PM

We have a small jar on our dresser. When it gets full we put it in a bigger jar under the bed. The last time we cashed in our change in we used it for gas and eating out on vacation.

MissyButtons
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I have an old pasta jar and a popcorn tin. We put our money in the pasta jar and when it gets full we move it to the popcorn tin. At the end of each pay period, if we have any single dollar bills left, we throw it in the popcorn tin. I've been putting money in the jar/tin since March 10'.We're saving up for a small family vacation.I won't lie, now that there's $410+ in the tin, I'd love to take it out and pay on some credit cards lol.

KamsOne
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:11 PM

We use an empty 5 gallon water jug for our change.  We've only once emptied it and cashed in and we had like $3000 in there!  Took years to get that much but still......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)