Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

St. Patrick's Day Fact and Folklore

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM
  • 9 Replies
Did you know?

Did you know that while it is customary to wear green on St. Patrick's Day in the United States, the color green is actually considered unlucky in Ireland? Green is the color of faeries, which are believed to steal children who wear too much green.

Did you know that the Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day by wearing shamrocks on their lapels' and dressing their children up in the colors of the Irish flag: orange, white and green? The green on the flag symbolizes the people of the south, the orange represents the people of the north. The white stands for peace, which brings the green and orange together as a united nation.

Did you know that the first St. Patrick's Day parade was held in Boston, Massachusetts? The parade has been an annual tradition since 1737.

Did you know that the first St. Patrick's Day parade in New York was held in 1762? Irish immigrants serving in the British colonial army marched down the streets.

Did you know that the New York St. Patrick's Day was officially launched in 1850? Today, this parade is the longest running civilian parade in the world, with 150,00 participants and nearly three million live spectators.

Did you know that the largest St. Patrick's Day parade in Canada is held in Montreal? The parade began in 1824.

Did you know that Chicagoans celebrate St. Patrick's Day by dyeing the Chicago River green? The tradition started in 1962. Today, 40 tons of dye is used, which keeps the river green for several hours.

Did you know that Guinness, the most famous of Irish dark stouts, was first brewed in Dublin Ireland in 1759? More than 1.9 billion pints of Guinness are drank around the world every year.

Did you know that Dublin is the capital of Ireland? There is also a Dublin in California and another Dublin in Ohio.

Did you know that the shamrock, considered the official plant of Ireland, was viewed as a sacred plant in ancient Ireland? The shamrock symbolized rebirth.

Did you know that in the seventeenth century, the shamrock became a symbol of Irish nationalism? In defending themselves against encroaching English imperialism, many Irish wore a shamrock on their lapel as a symbol of their opposition to English rule.

Did you know that leprechauns are traditional Irish folk figures? Leprechauns are believed to be cranky little fellows responsible for mending the shoes of fairies and causing all sorts of mayhem and mischief.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:

Did you know that while it is customary to wear green on St. Patrick's Day in the United States, the color green is actually considered unlucky in Ireland? Green is the color of faeries, which are believed to steal children who wear too much green.

HA!  I'm dressing my kids in green from head to toe and SENDING THEM TO IRELAND!  Bet the faeries would beg me to take them back...

....today's been a long day already, and it's not even halfway through.  sigh.

PadmeJonez
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I knew that about the dye in the river in Chicago... THAT would be interesting to see. 

"looking for more green clothing items for my boys..." 

cclpmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quote:

HA!  I'm dressing my kids in green from head to toe and SENDING THEM TO IRELAND!  Bet the faeries would beg me to take them back...

laughing

chrissysnow22
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM
Haaaaaaahhhaaaa! That's probably how that tradition started

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quote:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anna92464
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM

What a cool entry.....Can I add a couple of things....

Did you know that St. Patrick used the shamrock to teach people about the Trinity (the leaves symbolized father, son, and holy spirit, and the shamrock itself symbolized one God.....thus teaching the concept that one God can be 3 distinct persons and still be one God)

Did you know there is a legend that St. Patrick ran all the snakes out of Ireland, so now there are no snakes?

chrissysnow22
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:18 PM
By all means.

I heard the 2nd one but not the 1st.

Quoting Anna92464:

What a cool entry.....Can I add a couple of things....

Did you know that St. Patrick used the shamrock to teach people about the Trinity (the leaves symbolized father, son, and holy spirit, and the shamrock itself symbolized one God.....thus teaching the concept that one God can be 3 distinct persons and still be one God)

Did you know there is a legend that St. Patrick ran all the snakes out of Ireland, so now there are no snakes?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChristmas
by on Mar. 17, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Thank you!

happy st. patricks day

hope5765
by on Mar. 17, 2011 at 9:00 PM

My husband preached a sermon on Patrick last night at church. Patrick was a missionary to Ireland, he was born in Scotland, he used the shamrock to teach about the holy trinity of God, the original color used for the holiday was blue not green, he was not a Catholic, and he baptized by immersion.

ChaoticAtBest
by on Mar. 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Today I wear black...
‎"Today I Wear Black For Those Who Have Died,
From The Greed And Deception Of Those Who Have Lied,
No Green For St Patrick Will You Find On My Head,
Who's Hands Stained With Blood From Our Ancestors Dead,
Religiously Intolerant On Most they Wou...ld Paint,
But They Honored and Cheered Him and Call Him A Saint,
Today I wear black for Irelands Sons and Daughters,
Who For Walking The Old Way Were Murdered And Slaughtered,
Today I Wear Black For Those Who’ve Seen Their Last Hour,
In War With A Church Who's Only True Quest Is Power."
~Author unknown~

I find it entertaining that we celebrate a man who converted the Irish to Christianity. Generally when things like this happen many many innocents die in the name of the Lord. How grand is that? Funny too is his name wasn't even Patrick, that name was his Romanicised name.

Not only that, it isn't even really a Catholic holiday any longer, it is more of a secular holiday celebrated by most and usually by those who love to drink and get drunk.

I guess as I get older and decide to learn about these things, I find it is sad how many just go along with any celebration to be had.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)