Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Furlough?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM
  • 16 Replies

Frank (my DH) told me today that *if* the government shuts down, he may be furloughed.  He is a government employee working for the IRS.

I'm actually torn about how to pray for this.  On the one hand, I don't want my husband to be without a job and us to be without an income.  On the other hand, I am tired of the Republicans and Democrats playing politics with each other and I would almost like to see one party call the other's bluff. 

The Congress has passed a two-week extension of current spending so we have a little while to get prepared, and Frank thinks they may keep doing this indefinitely.  (Just like a typical Congress!!) 

Oddly enough, I'm not that worried.  We have money in savings and we can pay our bills and keep food on the table.  And I will probably be needing this group if we do end up going on furlough!

I guess the best thing to pray (for those who pray) is that God's will be done!

Tina

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.  It's already tomorrow in Australia." -- From Peanuts.

jigsaw ribbon

Betsy Ray/Tacy Kelly, 2012, Deep Valley Party.
Adam Savage/Jamie Hyneman, 2010, Mythbusters Party.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ohmommamia
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:37 PM
My husband has 6 furlough days a year and they are talkie about making it 12. He works for the state. It's tough to have that check that is less than normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anellie
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I too work for the state, and I've been furloughed 2 years in a row.  One time 5 days, the other 7 days.  They are looking into doing more furloughs this year, too.  I have to agree with ohmommamia  it's tough adjusting to less money!  

mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Here in California, state employees are going through rough times because of the furloughs.  I feel badly for people who come to these groups because of needs, not necessarily wants.  Now is a great time to start learning how to manage money, rather than allowing money to manage us.  Learn to be frugal, learn to live on less, and these issues can almost be disregarded.

I have a girlfriend that works at the DMV (poor thing!) and she used to be teased about being a "tightwad" (between the two of us, she got it the worst because of her car).  When the furloughs hit, she was fine.  She actually looked forward to it, because she considered it a "mid-week break up".  She got to spend a whole day with her kids rather than shuffling them off to daycare and school, she got to spend a little more time to herself, she got her errands ran during these days rather than on a quickly consumed lunch hour...she made lemonade out of lemons in a great way!  I'm actually quite envious of her financial position - she is quite an inspiration to me with her money management, her frugal ways, and the way she handles being a single mom with four kids.  I wish I met her a decade ago AND was intelligent enough to pick up on her skills! 

Awranne
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:21 PM
In Ma, we were furloughed last year for a few days. This year, it will most likely happen again and layoffs are certain again. They're also making us re-enroll in health plans.
tinamatt
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Eeeewww!  It seems like a lot of us are being hit with furloughs!  This economy plays no favorites with anyone.

christyg
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:30 PM

My hubby works for the Fed gov too.....he told me that he will know on Friday IF he goes to work on Monday. TOTALLY SUCKS and he is super stressed about it. 

Hmm...havent heard about the two week extension. Sounds pretty typical though. I guess this happened in '95 and the guys he works with were out for 3 weeks. A few of them were still "required" to go to work, but didnt recieve a paycheck until everything was figured out.

tinamatt
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Quoting christyg:

My hubby works for the Fed gov too.....he told me that he will know on Friday IF he goes to work on Monday. TOTALLY SUCKS and he is super stressed about it. 

Hmm...havent heard about the two week extension. Sounds pretty typical though. I guess this happened in '95 and the guys he works with were out for 3 weeks. A few of them were still "required" to go to work, but didnt recieve a paycheck until everything was figured out.

http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14173185 -- I think this just happened today.  What gov't branch does your hubby work for?

Tina

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.  It's already tomorrow in Australia." -- From Peanuts.

jigsaw ribbon

Betsy Ray/Tacy Kelly, 2012, Deep Valley Party.
Adam Savage/Jamie Hyneman, 2010, Mythbusters Party.

ChaoticAtBest
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM

good luck!

chrissysnow22
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 6:21 PM
I'll be praying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MysTeri67
by Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM

My husband is retired Air Force.  About half our income comes from his retirement pay and it is what pays our Mortgage.  I worry about whether he will get his retirement pay if the government shuts down. We are putting our tax refund and his bonus from work into savings which will keep the mortgage paid for at least a month.  If he does not get paid I will be calling around and explaining and hoping they work with us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)