Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lunchbox ideas

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hello Ladies!

I am looking for some new ideas of what to pack in my 6yo ds's lunch box! He is so tired of the old standbys and I would like to surprise him a couple days this week with some new meals!

What do you pack for your kiddos? The more budget friendly the better!

http://www.cafemom.com/%3Ca%20href=">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wB0qWbX/weight.png">>

You're gonna miss this, your're gonna want this back, your gonna wish these days haden't gone by so fast, these are some good times so take a good look around, you may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this!"

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kids1derful
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I would like to know also. I have 3 kids who take a lunch everyday and would like to change it up a little too.

I've done taco shells with peanutbutter and jelly rolled up and cut into sections, I've also put some pepperoni and sauce and cheese on a taco shell. they love that. Or I would wrap a cheese stick with some pepperoni in  a taco shell.

can you tell we like taco shells?lol

let me ask the kiddos what they have liked and I'll get back to you! I know I've made a mashed potato bowl for my daughter and she loved that. she also likes soup.

On the days they get out early I send breakfast,cereal, fruit, and what nots and they get their milk at school.

In the winter I sent packages of hot chocolate for them to make.

have you sent those straws for the kids to put in their milk. it makes it taste like choc or whatever flavor the straw  is.

rkoloms
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Most days, my daughter takes a thermos with leftovers, or with whole wheat pasta and cooked veggies with some type of sauce (peanut, marinara, etc.).

This list of bagged lunch ideas is the collective wisdom of many moms. I hope that you find it inspiring:

Lunch Box Ideas

Drinks:

o Soy shakes, like Vigoraid by Westsoy in juice boxes

o Warm apple cider, herb tea or cocoa in a thermos (what other warm drinks are good?)

o Bottled water

o soy milk boxes

o Most fruit juices especially if it comes in a box..or if I put it in those drink bottles with a straw. Any juice boxes should be transferred into some type of sippy cup or cup with flip-up straw before drinking (trust me -- those juice boxes are a menace),  

o Homemade flavored soy milks again best if in a travel bottle with straw. Simply add flavoring to  ordinary soy milk some ideas may be: Chocolate or carob, cinnamon, mango, orange, pineapple, banana, Etc. Use your imagination and think of your child’s favorite flavors.

o Fruit and tofu smoothies. Often these are enough to fill my kids up on my own and it's easy to sneak in extra nutrients.

Food:

o Cream cheese and jelly sandwiches, cut up into quarters or fingers

o Peanut Butter Roll-ups (cut crusts off a slice of bread, flatten it out, put peanut butter + other toppings, roll up. Optional: slice into 4's with toothpicks to keep from unrolling.

o Cream Cheese Cucumber Pita Sandwich (almost any sandwich can go in a pita!)

o Nut butter and fruit spread sandwiches on bread, cut up into quarters or fingers

o Nut butter sandwiches on small crackers

o Mini quiches or mini pizzas

o Whole wheat pasta rollups: with soynut butter, chopped apples, and carrots; avocado, chives, hummus or other bean spread (with lots of garlic), and sometimes sprouts;  roasted veggie wraps with hummus or spiced sour cream

o Peeled hardboiled egg, halved

o Cheese or baked tofu cubes

o Greek yoghurt w honey

o Ziti or multicolored finger food pasta w/ tomato sauce to dip & grated cheese

o Chick peas, green beans and macaroni (mixed together, no sauce)

o Pancake and veggie sausage w/ fruit spread to dip

o Veggie hot dog wrapped in biscuit dough and baked

o Baby potatoes and carrots, cooked whole, with yoghurt based dip

o Baked white or sweet potato "fries" with cubed veggie burger and ketchup to dip

o Thermos of bean & veggie soup with toast fingers to dip in it

o Thermos of rice & beans, grated or shredded cheese on the side to mix in

o One of my kids favorites is tofu salad sandwiches

o Lettuce wraps are great! Send leaves of romaine (or other lettuce) hummus, and shredded crunchy vegetables. Another good filling is mashed beans, corn and salsa.

o Leftovers... may sound crazy but but my dd seems to think that food tastes better coming out of a plastic container and a bag or lunch box... or maybe it's just the home-cooked thing away from home.

o Rice with margarine and Nutritional Yeast flakes ( or cheesy powder as we call it. chunks of tofu or steamed veggies can be added to this if desired... and with a bit of Bragg’s it becomes a very believable fried rice.

o nut butter sandwiches with slices or smashed fruit

o fruit sandwiches

o cucumber sandwiches

o carrot salad sandwiches (shredded carrots mixed with a vegan mayo, and if the mood suits raisins)

o any type of salad or "normal" sandwich toppings in pita bread

o tortilla rolls ...are favorites are pizza, taco (beans and cheese), or pb and fruit.

o Cold cooked pasta, baby carrots (they're already peeled), 

o homemade lunchables: any type of meal a kid can assemble ( or eat separately if they choose)served in a container with various compartments.

o Pancake Sandwiches - Cut pancakes into shapes with cookie cutters. Spread one side with cream 

o Chili with whole wheat noodles, brown rice or whole grain crackers

o cheese (can be vegan), do the other with fruit preserves or jam.

Snacks and sides:

o Fruit w/ dip (cream cheese with juice concentrate or preserves mixed in)

o Dried fruit or fruit leather

o Baked chips, veggie chips or veggie/fruit/pirate's booty

o Just Veggies or Fruit

o Fresh whole banana

o Fruit..of all kinds...with or without dip. 

o soy pretzels- plain or with anything that it can be dipped into

o veggie booty

o soy nuts

o bread sticks

o sunflower seeds

o sunflower seed mixed with dried fruit

o roasted pumpkin seeds

o popcorn!!!! our favorite...air-popped with or without added flavorings...

o your own gorp (whatever mixture of cereal, dried fruit, nuts & possibly coated chocolate -- like M&Ms -- you like), 

o grapes, pretzels, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), 

o Corn & Bean Salad

o Broccoli Salad

o Frozen Grapes

Basically anything that seems novel gets points so be sure to try cutting sandwiches with a knife or cookie cutter. fruits and veggies can be cut into all kinds of cool shapes too.

Hope this helps.

Freezable Sandwich Toppings (freezing sandwiches can save a lot of time in the morning)

o Bananas (sprinkle with citrus juice if browning bothers you)

o Branston pickle

o carrots (raw or cooked)

o cheese (sliced)

o greens (COOKED) (i.e. spinach, cabbages, etc.)

o jams, jellies

o Marmite or Vegemite

o mushrooms (cooked, or raw — but without surface water)

o Nutella

o peanut butter

o tomatoes

DON’T FREEZE: 

o cream cheese

o cucumber (raw)

o greens (raw) (i.e. spinach, cabbages, etc.)

o honey

o lettuce (raw)

o mayonnaise

Anellie
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Thanks for sharing this list!!! I've copied, pasted and printed to stick it on my door fridge! LOL

Quoting rkoloms:

Most days, my daughter takes a thermos with leftovers, or with whole wheat pasta and cooked veggies with some type of sauce (peanut, marinara, etc.).

This list of bagged lunch ideas is the collective wisdom of many moms. I hope that you find it inspiring....

Esther1102
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 12:38 PM

thank you ladies! keep the ideas coming

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)