Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is my problems with coupons

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM
  • 19 Replies

I don't have ink to print them now, companies don't mail them out anymore(thanks technology lol)

I don't understand the whole doubling up on coupons and im sure around here they don't do that.

Where I live is a mostly Hispanic community and im not sure the places I go to even let u use coupons.

The coupons I find are for things I don't use and then when I find the ones I  need I don't have money to buy it. (toilet paper,hand tissue household stuff)

I don't want to get a paper on Sundays to maybe use one coupon only. As far as I know only one newspaper on Sundays here has coupons.

Basically is hard for me to use coupons. Rant over lol

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tata569
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:40 AM

i feel the same way. i rarely find the coupons i want. i do not see where the stores double and half the time i forget to take them

EddiesGirl8400
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM
I understand! I am in a similar situation. Yesterday I discovered that I could use digital coupons....I'm sure others are well aware if this...but I shop alot at smiths/kroger...and I have a rewards card, and looking online I could click on the coupons I want and I am credited for them when I present card at the checkout! Saved $45.00, this was good for me. I am just getting into the hang of this stuff. And I spend alot on food, especially since we never eat out at all...on the plus, we usually eat EVERYTHING I buy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mami2emily
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Have you tried boards where you can trade for coupons that you want? I live in a primarily hispanic community and everywhere we go they take coupons. unless you are going to a corner store i dont see why they shouldnt take them or you can just ask management.

Doubling up can mean 2 things - one being that the store honors the value of the coupon and doubles it. IE you have a coupon for .50 off of cereal, the store would value the coupon as $1 off therefore bigger savings. Or two - you have a manufacturer coupon and a store coupon. IE target offers coupons online that you can combine with manufacturer coupons for more savings.

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I don't see what living in a Hispanic community has to do with coupons.  So don't use coupons if you don't like them.

mami2emily
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:50 AM

i thought i was the only one that thought this

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

I don't see what living in a Hispanic community has to do with coupons.  So don't use coupons if you don't like them.

1busymomma03
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:50 AM

When using coupons, you need to be willing to try different brands of things. For instance, shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, even foods, etc are on sale all of the time...but it's different brands from week to week. If you are willing to try and use different brands, then you can get these items for very cheap..or even free.

It's definitely worth it to buy a newspaper each Sunday. I usually buy 6 newspapers each week. Last week, I didn't use a single coupon from the current newpaper, but I used a lot of coupons from the my stash of coupons that I have built up by buying papers each Sunday. I went ahead and bought my 6 newspapers on Sunday, and put the coupons in my stash...I'm sure I will use them soon. So even if you don't use the coupons this week, you may need the coupons in upcoming weeks.

Another way to really save money, is to buy things when you can get them for very cheap or free...even if you don't need them right then. This past Sunday, I bought a lot of shampoo and conditioner. I wasn't completely out at home, but I got John Frieda for less than .50 cents a bottle and Loreal for around .25 cents a bottle. I love the John Freida, so I stocked up on it, and the Loreal was so cheap that I thought I would give it a try too. =)  I was able to get 14 bottles of shampoo and conditioner for less than $5.50...which is less than I would have paid for 2 bottles at regular price..but now I don't have to buy shampoo or conditioner for a long time.

If you have a good stash of coupons, watch the sales ads weekly, and buy things when they are very inexpensive, then it really does save you money. =)

anon421
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Meaning stuff that is on sale is mostly at a Stop and Shop store where I dont' shop. Meaning the stuff I use are not things that are usually on sale, and the places I buy stuff from im not sure would even let u use coupons. That is what I meant. At least some women agree with me and im not alone with the whole coupon things.

kristinlimon
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM

IT takes a bit to get coupons built up enough to get what you need. And I live in an "hispanic" area and everywhere takes Manu coupons. EVERYWHERE so that has nothing to do with it. Just ask I bet you will e surprised.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Quoting anon421:

I don't have ink to print them now, companies don't mail them out anymore(thanks technology lol)Companies still mail coupons, and you can sign up to recieve weekly Redplum coupons to your box. I get coupons daily in the mail. Sign up for your favorite brands mailing list, not email list. There is a section that will ask you which you prefer.

I don't understand the whole doubling up on coupons and im sure around here they don't do that. I never use doubling, but I will combine a coupon for a clearence item. If you are in the mindset not to pay full price and look for sales, you will be in essence doubling without the headache. Smith's here will advertise occassionally double coupon day. I usually dont have the time to fight a crowd with 3 little ones in tow.

Where I live is a mostly Hispanic community and im not sure the places I go to even let u use coupons. Most stores now have their policies on their webpage. And asking a manager cant hurt if you can save money each trip. Soon with gas prices people will have to make a difficult choice, extreme diet or coupon. 

The coupons I find are for things I don't use and then when I find the ones I  need I don't have money to buy it. (toilet paper,hand tissue household stuff) Find a local or online coupon swap. And depending on your area, if you are in NM, or any other southwestern states, Pinchingyourpennies.com has local gals that will swap and help you find resources for your area.

I don't want to get a paper on Sundays to maybe use one coupon only. As far as I know only one newspaper on Sundays here has coupons. Sunday's arent the only paper that has coupons, lots of sells and specials in the Saturday and Tuesday papers. But you can see if any of your neighbors want to just give you the insert or call up the paper and see if they have extra's they just toss out, if you could get them.

Basically is hard for me to use coupons. Rant over lol I have lived in my share of small Hispanic communities all my life, and true most arent coupon friendly in small areas period. Ask any questions, if it exists I will find it.

veggietalesmom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Quoting anon421:

I don't have ink to print them now, companies don't mail them out anymore(thanks technology lol) I print very few of the coupons I use each week. So don't let this be a reason not to use coupons.

I don't understand the whole doubling up on coupons and im sure around here they don't do that. I live in a small town and only have one store that does double, Kroger. It does make a big difference... but you can save lots w/o double coupons. Kroger doubles coupons across the country w/ the exception of the Houston market now. Many other stores double also. You can check the websites of local grocers.

Where I live is a mostly Hispanic community and im not sure the places I go to even let u use coupons. Ask for the policy. The stores that don't allow coupons in most areas are: Wholesale clubs Sam's and such, Dollar stores (you can still use coupons at Dollar General and Family Dollar), and Aldi's.

The coupons I find are for things I don't use and then when I find the ones I  need I don't have money to buy it. (toilet paper,hand tissue household stuff)

I don't want to get a paper on Sundays to maybe use one coupon only. As far as I know only one newspaper on Sundays here has coupons.You can find coupons in stores on  tear pads in front of the product,  on the product, libraries, the Y and so on.

Basically is hard for me to use coupons. Rant over lol

A couple websites that you might find helpful:

www.taylortownpreview.com has a lists of coupons that will be in the w/e paper before it comes out. I use this to determine how many copies I will purchase. Some weeks are 0 (very seldom), most weeks are 1-3.

www.weusecoupons.com WUC I follow them on Facebook

www.hotcouponworld.com this has a great forum  for different stores across the country.

money savings mom

couponmom.com

If you have a Walgreens, CVS, or Rite Aid near you... these stores are easy to get started with even w/o coupons... you will save a mint using coupons. I have not paid for toothpaste or most other HBA items in almost 4 years. I find it easier to save on these items and put it towards something else in my budget.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)