Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Savings Challenge Day 29: Do a Financial Tuneup

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM
  • 77 Replies

Welcome to the next-to-last day of the Savings Challenge! We hope you've enjoyed the journey!

Now that your month-long focus on savings is almost over, it's time to make sure all your financial ducks are in order. Your activity for April 14 is: Do a Financial Tuneup.

This Financial Tuneup checklist from the New York Times is a great way to get started. Use this simple, printable 31-day guide to help you figure out what financial moves to make. Suggestions include:

• Start saving an extra 1% of your paycheck
  • Find a lower-interest credit card
  • Consider renter's insurance or read your home insurance policy

What items on this financial tuneup checklist would you like to tackle? Tell us in the replies below!

And don't forget, if you have more financial tuneup questions, you have two more days to ask our guest expert, Money Girl Laura Adams!

Plus, see who is sales savvy with yesterday's activity.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ToraMay
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM

cool

dstoutholcomb
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM

we belong to a credit union which has lower rates

usmc0351wife
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I need to start saving 1% of our paycheck, if I started that in one year we would save $252.  We already have renter's insurance and we don't want anymore CC's.

1busymomma03
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM

There are only a couple of things on that checklist that I really need to do. One of them is to really pay attention to what we spend...down to the very last penny. We could also spend our gift cards.. LOL. That's about all that I think we can do to help us.

We are part of a credit union and they are way better than most regular banks. We don't use credit cards, so I don't have to worry about interest rates. We save money out of each paycheck. I think we are doing really well for ourselves at the moment.

I just think being aware of everything we are spending is our biggest problem. That has to get in check soon though because we are trying to buy a new house and will have two mortgages for a while...

marisab
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM

ALREADY TAKE MONEY OUT AND DONT HAVE CC

dmm2702
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM

We already have money taken out automatically every payday that goes into our savings.  We also refinanced our truck at a lower interest rate.  I cut our cable down to the basic package that they offer.  I am on a free credit website that gives you the best credit cards to go with and loans for lower payments they also give me my score each month.  I raised my credit score by 12 points since last month.  I switched cell phone companies to get a better monthly payment.

mommy2xp
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM

There's nothing there we need to do

LadySaphira
by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM

We don't use CC

Bob192
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Save 1% of paycheck!!

dodie_s
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Vince and I will make an extra mortage payment 

I also wold like to get Vince life insurance with my insurance company. I have a 25000 policy and would like the same on him. 

We also need to sit down and write out a living will . 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)