Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fun day out on a budget?? how do you do it?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

So I came across this video the other day::

Ok, first off, I love her videos.. Second - what are some ways you save money and have a fun day out? I was thinking of just going out shopping with a friend to cheer her up or maybe a day out with my husband, but I just wanna see how much we can do with as little money as possible.

I've found the Bath and Body Works coupon so I definitely plan on using it. I've also found a coupon to get a few toys at Walmart for next to nothing.

So what else do you guys have for me?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 1:57 AM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:12 AM

pretty kewl video and tips.  i like her use swagbucks and mypoints to get gift cards to use for shopping and eating out!

by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Hubby and I like to go to the library and enjoy selecting books and movies.  Afterwards, we often go to eat with a coupon...many times we use a buy one/get one deal.

Another thing we love to do is have a "work at home" day.  It doesn't sound like fun but we try to make it that way.  While having a simple breakfast at home, we discuss a few projects we would like to accomplish that day...mostly things like taking items to our local charity store or working in our yard and garden.  Sometimes we work together to clean a closet or sweep out the garage.  Then we shower up and head out for a ride and an ice cream.

Matinees are lots of fun and about half the price of a nighttime show. 

We live near the NC we often hit the parkway and enjoy stopping on the roadside for a picnic.  There is one stretch we especially enjoy because there is a lovely apple orchard there...and the orchard facility is open to the public from spring to fall.  They advertise special events with live music and samples of fudge, as well as a couple "craft" events where you can roam and watch crafters at work.  They have a buttefly garden there...and in the fall, they offer hayrides and story telling. Now that gas prices are rising, trips to the mountains might become less frequent...but gas is about the only expense involved.

We also look online to find special places to visit in our the homeplaces of authors, politicians, and other important figures.  Many of these can be toured for free or a small amount.  We have visited the home of Carl Sandburg and Thomas Wolfe and others.  Cemetaries, while it sounds creepy to some, can offer very informative and interesting book we purchased gave the top cemetaries to visit in our state and told the story of the famous people buried there.  

Try entering state parks or looking up hiking trails and waterfalls. Most of these are totally free in our state and some of the parks offer free classes and tours.

Get involved in a local church.  We do lots of fun missions projects.  We have a quilting club, a coffee house and classes on cake well as handbell classes for adults and kids alike.  We have adult and children's choirs, fall festivals, Easter egg hunts, chili cook-off nights, summer movies, VBS, and other fun opportunities....all for free.

by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 3:04 AM

I use mypoints.  I have 3 gift cards coming to help with the upcoming move to reduce the cost of eating out along the way.

by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 3:37 AM

oh I forgot about netflix or for a dollar the redbox or similar movie rentals at the store.                                                                                                                     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)