Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

garage sale vs donation

Posted by on May. 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hi Ladies, i have a ton of clothes that my kids have left behind this past year, toys and misc items that i have to get rid of. Do you ladies think a garage sale is more profitable than donation? These are decent clothes some name brands, some with tags on them, toys that are in guc. I have 4 16 gallon bins of just clothes right now and debating if i should do a garage sale or just donate everything.

by on May. 17, 2011 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sah11
by on May. 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Donations unless you get an itemized receipt can only be claimed a certain amount of money.  I am having a tag sale this weekend.  I am going to see what I can sell and then I will have the Salvation Army or VA come and pick up whatever doesn't sell on Monday.  That way, I can make what I can on a sale AND get the tax write off for the donation.  I have lots of furniture and toys, not necessarily clothing.  You can also try a child's consigment shop, it's less work that having your own sale and you may make out there as well. 

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on May. 17, 2011 at 1:40 PM
I always try to sell beforehand, make some money back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomToAnArmyOf3
by on May. 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM
Is there a consignment shop where you might be able to sell them? Or have you looked into thredUp.com? That's a great way to get rid of them.

I agree with Dawn, try to get some money out of them first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN