• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keep Mosquitos away

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM
  • 7 Replies

Any tips on frugal ways to prevent mosquito bites & to prevent them from living around my house? I read that DEET products are supposed to be the best .  I am looking for "chemical" free/ natural ways.

Have you used anything that works?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cara124
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM

i love OFF brand sprays......my best tip for keeping them from around the house i dont have anything around with standing water.....dd 13 wears one of those clip on OFF things because the bite give her big welts and it works wonders for her....

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on May. 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Make sure you don't have standing water anywhere on your lawn.  Planting Marigolds might help.  Wear light clothing.  If you can help it dont be outside early in the morning or when it's getting dark at night.

specialwingz
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:48 PM

There are several essential oils you can use to ward off the little buggers.  But, because oil & water don't mix, you have to combine the essential oil with a carrier oil or an alcohol to help distribute the essential oil.  And, remember!  Pregnant and/or nursing women should NOT use ANY form of bug repellant...natural or otherwise!

The essential oils that work well against mosquitoes are:

• cinnamon oil
  • lemon eucalyptus oil
  • citronella oil
  • castor oil

Safe carrier oils and alcohols include:

• olive oil
  • sunflower oil
  • any other cooking oil
  • witch hazel
  • vodka

Natural Mosquito Repellent Recipe

• 10-25 drops (total) of essential oils
  • 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil or alcohol

Mix the essential oil with the carrier oil or alcohol. Rub or spray the natural insect repellent onto skin or clothing, using care to avoid the sensitive eye area. You'll need to re-apply the natural product after about an hour or after swimming or exercise. Unused natural insect repellent may be stored in a dark bottle, away from heat or sunlight.

MommaClark3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Mosquito repelling plants... Goggle it... they do exist! I had some sent to me from a plant swapping group, and they unfortunately died, but sure local plant nursery would have them!!!

~*Beverly*~
http://motherofallboyz.blogspot.com/

MommaClark3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM

And I think the plant was part of the geranium family...

~*Beverly*~
http://motherofallboyz.blogspot.com/

ChaoticAtBest
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:37 PM

mouth wash mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. Spray it on and they stay away from it.

laurakay410
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Thanks for the info!!!  I'll get some Off, and the essential oils, look up what plants might help & no standing water!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)