Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what does being frugal mean to you???

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

I know to some people being frugal is nothing more than saving money and they hate opening that wallet. To me its a combination of saving money, time and energy. Its also about getting a good value for my dollar...are you really saving money on a cheap detergent if you need to use twice as much to get something clean? I also dont mind spend alot of money on something that will last, ex. 20 yrs ago my house had wall to wall carpeting through out and with kids and 2 long haired dogs I vaccuumed everyday. I was burning out a vaccuum cleaner in 6-8 months so after 5 vaccuums in 3 yrs I bought a Kirby for just over 600$( yes I spent that much 20 yrs ago) and I still use it and the only thing I've had to replace are belts and bags and I dont even bother buying them from Kirby...I've found common brands that are compatable.

So, what does being frugal mean to you?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
specialwingz
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Once upon a time the word "frugal" was meant for the dude next door that was so cheap he took extra ketchup packets from McD's to fill his bottle at home.  Yep - ppl like that really do exist.  I've personally known one.

However, I am more like you.  To me, frugal means looking at ALL your options and choosing what works best for you and your budget.  Like you said, sometimes, that's not always the cheapest route in the immediate moment. 

SO and I research (mostly him...he's my research guru) things before we make a purchase.  For instance, the dvd/surround sound system we have, we paid $279 for it.  My girlfriend was surprised we'd pay that much when you could get a simple off-brand dvd player (no sound system)for $80 at Walmart (who needs to pay for awesome sound, she says).  Well, in the 4 years we've had our $279 system, which is still working perfectly, she is on her 4th $80 dvd player.  Hmmm...and she thinks she's saving money.  I just have to laugh. 

Bottom line...for me...frugal = smart with your money.  NOT cheap.

mariC67
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Quoting specialwingz:

Once upon a time the word "frugal" was meant for the dude next door that was so cheap he took extra ketchup packets from McD's to fill his bottle at home.  Yep - ppl like that really do exist.  I've personally known one.

I had to laugh... I will take an extra pack or 2 of ketchup, mustard, mayo or hot sauce whenever i get the chance, I dont refill my bolltes with them, I'm not taking that much, but I do use them for packing lunches.

specialwingz
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM

LOL.  Yeah, they're good for that.  I always take extra taco sauce from Taco Bell cuz I like it on my salads.  I do buy the bottles at the store.  But, for lunches, the little packets are perfect!

Quoting mariC67:

Quoting specialwingz:

I had to laugh... I will take an extra pack or 2 of ketchup, mustard, mayo or hot sauce whenever i get the chance, I dont refill my bolltes with them, I'm not taking that much, but I do use them for packing lunches.

andasideof
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:15 PM

For me, I'm in cheapo land, lol!  Hubby is in school and working two jobs, so for me to make the house run half way decent I have to be really.... creative with things.  The majority of our money is going towards keeping the house from falling down around our ears, you can't skimp on that.  So I'm the girl who saves ketchup packets and re-uses tea bags, LOL!  My frugal best is when Hubby asks if I need anything and I can tell him, "NO.".  One day we'll be different than this.  :) 

EDIT:  I am redoing my kitchen right now as cheaply as possible, so I guess you can skimp a little on home repair, lol!

ChaoticAtBest
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM

saving money, being smart, wasting less! There are tons of things being frugal means to me :)

Amy127
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM
Being.frugal to me isn't even all about saving money. Its using less to help the environment. I cloth diaper, Yes it saves me money but it Also saves landfills from sposies. Just like switching from papertowels, napkings, etc to cloth. Its turning that old egg carton into a craft organizer . Its shopping thrift stores, combining errands into one trip. Its NOT BUYING SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE ITS ON SALE AND YOU HAVE A COUPON. ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)