Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

credit cards....

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM
  • 7 Replies

I got an unbelievable call from a bill collector the other day, heres the story...

My DH and I were married in 1987. Before we got married he already had alot of debt so cut up most of the cards and eventually paid them off. This call I got was for an accout thats been closed since 87 and apparently they are claiming there was still a balance on it. I went OFF on the guy...a 24 yo debt that never was in my name and I never got any benefit and this is the first I'm hearing about it ... OH HELL NO!     I told him where to stick it.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RugersMommy06
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM

yikes! what a crazy call. hope you get it all handled!

chichiwvu
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM
What???? That's ridiculous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:26 AM

The 21st century thing to do (as a cc company) is to sell off the accounts that have been written off to make back some of the money.  New age collection companies are buying these accounts off the cc companies for a percentage.  The collection company then hounds the consumer.  My guess is that the cc company sold their entire list of "write offs" to one of these companies and  your DH's account was on the list.  Maybe this one slipped through the crack or there was a leftover fee on it. Who knows.  The bottom line is, the cc company is not collecting the debt.  It is now a whole new company you never did business with.  I'm not sure who you would ask...but, I believe I've heard that you owe these collection companies NOTHING.  I would also keep an eye on your credit report.  Since it's a cc debt from 24 years ago, any demerit on there regarding the cc company has LONG since past its time to fall off the report.  Therefore, the debt this other company is trying to collect is null and void.

My DD got this information from a debt consoldation counselor.  I hope it makes sense.

mariC67
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I've heard this before too but I didnt think of it at the time, I was just so outraged that they called and asked for me not my DH (who actually answered the phone) on an account that was that old.

Quoting specialwingz:

The 21st century thing to do (as a cc company) is to sell off the accounts that have been written off to make back some of the money.  New age collection companies are buying these accounts off the cc companies for a percentage.  The collection company then hounds the consumer.  My guess is that the cc company sold their entire list of "write offs" to one of these companies and  your DH's account was on the list.  Maybe this one slipped through the crack or there was a leftover fee on it. Who knows.  The bottom line is, the cc company is not collecting the debt.  It is now a whole new company you never did business with.  I'm not sure who you would ask...but, I believe I've heard that you owe these collection companies NOTHING.  I would also keep an eye on your credit report.  Since it's a cc debt from 24 years ago, any demerit on there regarding the cc company has LONG since past its time to fall off the report.  Therefore, the debt this other company is trying to collect is null and void.

My DD got this information from a debt consoldation counselor.  I hope it makes sense.

specialwingz
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Yes, these new companies are relentless.  They contact anyone they can connect to the person they are actually looking for.  They are the rudest people and can be absolutely hateful.  I've had my phone # for 6 years.  I still get calls from these types of companies looking for the #'s previous owner.  I've told them time and time again, that this person no longer has this # and they have the balls to accuse me of being a relative refusing to give them info on the person they are looking for.  I threatened to sic my attorney on them.  They just told me to go ahead as it would only help them to collect the debt.  GAH!!!

Quoting mariC67:

I've heard this before too but I didnt think of it at the time, I was just so outraged that they called and asked for me not my DH (who actually answered the phone) on an account that was that old.

Quoting specialwingz:

jamms02
by on May. 22, 2011 at 9:24 AM
There is a collector calling my house looking for my neighbor. They can be brutal! My neighbor was horrified!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sassymomntx1961
by on May. 22, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Here in the last few mo.I had someone call my ex of 23 yrs about me and the someone called my niece which I dont even know her 3 and then someone calling my mom and step dad who live in Il.Now Im getting calls from an area code of 801 and I wont answer a # I dont know and they never leave a msg.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)