• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think cooking in the fall is the cheapest season...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:39 AM
  • 12 Replies

which season do you find it easiest to stretch your money?

I make a lot of soup and chili so that goes a long way in the cold months. 8)

CafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrissysnow22
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:08 AM
I've never really thought about it but I'd have to say either fall or summer. Fall has lots of soups and such but dh isn't a soup lover like me.

Summer because at our farmers market you can mix and match at certain fruit stands for $1 a lb and herbs are 3 bunches for $1 as opposed to $3 for 1 bunch like I saw at safeway the other day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I think late summer and fall are the best times for me to stretch our food budget.   Our garden is producing well, we've got chicken and beef in the freezer, and we're more satisfied with light meals.  I'd say winter is the next best because, like you, I make a lot of soups, stews, and chili.

MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM

I think fall for us is the best. We love the soups, stews, and chili. Fruits and veggies in our area are so abundant. Apples, squash, sweet potatoes, carrots. I didn't get my garden in this year, so I have been at the mercy of the grocery stores for my produce. Our local farmer's market closed up a couple of years ago because the township was being poo-poo about it.

nmaxwell816
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I agree with you.  I can't wait for fall

Kari_Noelle
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I never thought about it but I will have to say fall

tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM
Fall
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I tend to agree with you.  One thing I can say for sure....I love to cook in the fall and winter months.  Cooler weather just draws me to the kitchen!

marlarrie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:12 PM
Yep, love fall cooking, too.
lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Summer because we have a lot of fresh veggies in our garden and we tend to eat less when it's hot.

Beth100
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:15 PM

I agree with you!  Besides we have surplus that the stores are selling off, and gardens.  Makes it a lot easier.  In the summertime, with salads and trying to stay cool while we cook, we end up useing more fast food treats, even if it is from scratch, & it is more expensive.  Beth100

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/Beth100
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)