• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fall Lettuce...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

When is a good time to plant? I'm thinking I need to start my seedlings soon so we can have tons of fresh lettuce We are eating salads like crazy so it would be a huge savings. Its still HOT in El Paso though so it makes me wonder if I should wait another month or not. It was still in the 70's when we got here in Dec so I know I could probably do a couple batches and be okay through the winter.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
specialwingz
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I'm in Southern TX.  It's a little hot yet for salad stuff.  Unless you provide a shade system of some sort.  We are on a watering ban.  So, my gardening is zilch right now.  I'm hoping as Fall approaches, that maybe they will lift the ban so I can grow some stuff.  I plant my salad stuff in "time slots".  I plant enough to get me through a week in a small plot.  Then, a wek later, I seed a little more, etc.  This way, it matures in batches instead of all at once.  If you don't have a way to shade your plants from this intense TX sun, I'd wait just a bit longer.

kristinlimon
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I container garden on my patio but it faces the south so the sun is pretty intense all the time even with a tree there. I may try a few seeds in my kitchen window and see how that works. I need to see if I can get ahold of another packet of seeds. I bought two this spring but planted too late and still have the second set. 

nmaxwell816
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I have no clue.  I wish I knew.

GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM

I don't know but I would like ot find out.  Fall lettuce would be a wonderful help for us!  Its so good fresh out of your garden!

Anellie
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM

This is a wonderful idea about planting in time slots! Love it! Going to do this with my fall garden. Thanks for sharing!

Quoting specialwingz:

I'm in Southern TX.  It's a little hot yet for salad stuff.  Unless you provide a shade system of some sort.  We are on a watering ban.  So, my gardening is zilch right now.  I'm hoping as Fall approaches, that maybe they will lift the ban so I can grow some stuff.  I plant my salad stuff in "time slots".  I plant enough to get me through a week in a small plot.  Then, a wek later, I seed a little more, etc.  This way, it matures in batches instead of all at once.  If you don't have a way to shade your plants from this intense TX sun, I'd wait just a bit longer.

GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Quoting Anellie:

This is a wonderful idea about planting in time slots! Love it! Going to do this with my fall garden. Thanks for sharing!

Quoting specialwingz:

I like the time slot idea too!

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

sassymomntx1961
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:51 AM

Im in central Tx near Waco and Ft Hood and its still in thw 100's this week.I wanted to do a container garden and may do it in steps also.With our weather you could almost plant yr round lol.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

specialwingz
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Yes, drought conditions aside...we should be able to garden year-round.  But, when you say this to most Texans, they look at you like you have 2 heads!  LOL.  I may need to turn to container gardening so I can move things around, shade them and use less water.   Hmmm...but then, I'd have to invest in containers.  UGH!

Quoting sassymomntx1961:

Im in central Tx near Waco and Ft Hood and its still in thw 100's this week.I wanted to do a container garden and may do it in steps also.With our weather you could almost plant yr round lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)