Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gardening / Tomatoes

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

I don't know how many of you have gardens......but I'm sure some do.  And, many of you may already know this.......but I know a lot of people don't.....so:

In order to have your tomatoes grow to the optimal size and to help them to ripen, Trim off the extra leaves.  I give my tomatoes a hair cut regularly.  Otherwise, they won't get the sun, because of the leaves and extra greenery takes a toll on the strength of the plant.  Works well for squash, as well, but don't trim quite as much, with them.  Beth100

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/Beth100
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:48 PM

That's good to know. I have a black thumb of death, so any gardening info is always appreciated!

GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Our tomatoes did not do well this year.  No one in our area...even my parents who live a few hours from us....had success with tomatoes this year.  We've only a 4-5 out of the garden!  So sad.  Normally we get sick of them!

lalasmama2007
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM

This was our first year with a garden and we have tomatoes coming out of our ears!  We only have a few plants, but they are producing like crazy. 

nmaxwell816
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I wish I knew how to garden!

lillucky8
by Jen on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM
Hmm thanks for the tip, ill tell my mom, she grows the tomatoes and i make the sauce :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Quoting nmaxwell816:

I wish I knew how to garden!

Its so easy you could learn in no time flat!  You could start with a container garden.  Just get a large pot, make sure it has a couple good drain holes, fill the pot with good dirt and plant something!  You'd be amazed at what you can grow in pots!

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)