Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make it from scratch..........

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM
  • 20 Replies

Okay ladies, I need your help. We have never been so broke as we have been these last few months. This is going to continue for several more months I am afraid, HOPEFULLY things will get better near the end of Fall. Anyway, I am trying to save us every possible penny that I can so I need your help. What do you make from scratch, soaps, foods, pet foods, etc. I need ideas and recipes would be very helpful also! Thanks to everyone who posts, I will take any advice you have to give!!!!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Laundry soap

Liquid hand soap

bread

rolls

buns

tortillas

pasta

bagels

pancakes/waffles

biscuits

gravies

copycat Manwich

taco seasoning (taco bell copycat)

spaghetti sauce

ranch dressing mix

salad dressings (Ranch, Italian, sweet French/Catalina)

Mayonnaise

Miracle Whip

ketchup

salsa

sweet or dill relishes

pizza sauce

pizza crust

desserts (cakes, pies, crisps, etc.)

Kid treats (ice cream sandwiches, popsicles, pudding pops, caramel corn, peanut butter popcorn, banana or apple chips)

nut butters (although I don't know that it's all that cheaper vs. purchased)

Let me know which recipes you'd like, or else visit my recipes blog http://rhondashomestylerecipes.blogspot.com

Allie01
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Wow! Do you make all of these things? Does it really save you money? If all of the recipes are in your blog I will just go to that, I won't make you post everything here again. Thank you so much!!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Laundry soap

Liquid hand soap

bread

rolls

buns

tortillas

pasta

bagels

pancakes/waffles

biscuits

gravies

copycat Manwich

taco seasoning (taco bell copycat)

spaghetti sauce

ranch dressing mix

salad dressings (Ranch, Italian, sweet French/Catalina)

Mayonnaise

Miracle Whip

ketchup

salsa

sweet or dill relishes

pizza sauce

pizza crust

desserts (cakes, pies, crisps, etc.)

Kid treats (ice cream sandwiches, popsicles, pudding pops, caramel corn, peanut butter popcorn, banana or apple chips)

nut butters (although I don't know that it's all that cheaper vs. purchased)

Let me know which recipes you'd like, or else visit my recipes blog http://rhondashomestylerecipes.blogspot.com/

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:18 PM

I don't make the breads/buns/rolls/pasta/tortillas/etc. anymore because we've chosen to cut gluten from our diet but I used to.  It really DOES save money.

The laundry soap, liquid hand soap, and a few other recipes are not on the blog, but if you don't see the ones you want, let me know and I can post them.

Oh, and I made yogurt in my crock pot, using milk and 1/2 c. plain yogurt with active cultures.  I used it in my whole wheat bread, in frozen yogurt desserts, and in smoothies.

Allie01
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Great! I will look over your blog and if I don't find something on there that I want a recipe for I will let you know. Thanks again!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't make the breads/buns/rolls/pasta/tortillas/etc. anymore because we've chosen to cut gluten from our diet but I used to.  It really DOES save money.

The laundry soap, liquid hand soap, and a few other recipes are not on the blog, but if you don't see the ones you want, let me know and I can post them.

Oh, and I made yogurt in my crock pot, using milk and 1/2 c. plain yogurt with active cultures.  I used it in my whole wheat bread, in frozen yogurt desserts, and in smoothies.

nei-nei
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM

There are several blogs I follow that help me stretch my dollar. I coupon like crazy. I will wait for meat to go on sale/clearance and stock up. Today, for example, I was able to go to the garden and pick most of my veggies for a chicken stew I made today. I boiled the chicken and used appx half of it in the stew. I saved the rest with the broth to use in a recipe again this week. I had a $2.90 chicken last through 2-3 meals. That helps. There are so many blogs on eat on $10 a day. I did a week's challenge on making a week's worth of food for less than $10 a day (that's feeding 6-7 people per day). My kids LOVE breakfast for dinner, and I can get away for cheap food that way. Homemade pancakes, eggs (we have our own chickens), and sausage links I catch on sale. So, for $2.50, I have several full bellies for the night. I don't make my own laundry soap. I never pay more than $2.50 for a thing of laundry soap with my coupons, so I don't bother with that (I have enough on my plate to add to it)

MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Rhonda---question for you re: your meal planning and making from scratch

Do you plan you menu around what you have? Do you make the seasonings or other stuff ahead of time so they are ready for you to use or do you make them just to fit into your meal plan?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Quoting MissyB1011:

Do you plan you menu around what you have? Do you make the seasonings or other stuff ahead of time so they are ready for you to use or do you make them just to fit into your meal plan?

I take inventory of what is in my freezers, pantry, and refrigerator, then I'll plan meals from that first.  After that I will see if there are any great deals in the store ads and match the deals with what I have on hand to make more meals.  Then I'll fill in with meals that I know use inexpensive ingredients.

I do make some of the seasoning mixes (taco seasoning, spaghetti sauce mix, chili seasoning) ahead of time and bag them in snack sized baggies in meal sized portions.  Other things are made as needed.

Allie01
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Do you happen to have some of those blog sites that you can share? I would love to read them! Thanks for your response!!

Quoting nei-nei:

There are several blogs I follow that help me stretch my dollar. I coupon like crazy. I will wait for meat to go on sale/clearance and stock up. Today, for example, I was able to go to the garden and pick most of my veggies for a chicken stew I made today. I boiled the chicken and used appx half of it in the stew. I saved the rest with the broth to use in a recipe again this week. I had a $2.90 chicken last through 2-3 meals. That helps. There are so many blogs on eat on $10 a day. I did a week's challenge on making a week's worth of food for less than $10 a day (that's feeding 6-7 people per day). My kids LOVE breakfast for dinner, and I can get away for cheap food that way. Homemade pancakes, eggs (we have our own chickens), and sausage links I catch on sale. So, for $2.50, I have several full bellies for the night. I don't make my own laundry soap. I never pay more than $2.50 for a thing of laundry soap with my coupons, so I don't bother with that (I have enough on my plate to add to it)

GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Quoting MissyB1011:

Great question!

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

GrandmaSherry
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting MissyB1011:

I take inventory of what is in my freezers, pantry, and refrigerator, then I'll plan meals from that first.  After that I will see if there are any great deals in the store ads and match the deals with what I have on hand to make more meals.  Then I'll fill in with meals that I know use inexpensive ingredients.

I do make some of the seasoning mixes (taco seasoning, spaghetti sauce mix, chili seasoning) ahead of time and bag them in snack sized baggies in meal sized portions.  Other things are made as needed.

Great answer!  LOL  I really want to make some of these seasoning mixes.  I think it would be so convenient to have on hand.  Have you ever estimated the cost of these to make at home?

~FRUGALISTAS MOD~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)