Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A small rant from a newbie...:(

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:05 AM
  • 22 Replies

Ok I am new well kinda new here I am a lurker I suppose you would say..I am TRYING to follow the dave ramsey plan but so far Im really bad at it and I am not as invested in it as I would like to be but after the last 2 weeks I think I have no choice but to force myself to be responsible and do this! the thing that put me over the top is...We have a 2yr me and my DH and I am pregnant ever since I have been prego I have had to up my food budget every month it seems...so we started at $200 a month and now its at $270 and we are still blowing it (well it feels like we are going too but were useing cash and havent blown it yet but I just feel like its hopeless) then today we went to pick up some things at the store and I wanted chips to snack on my FAV chips were on sale last week (or i thought it was this week) they were 2 for 6 OMG but normaly they are 3.99 and I wont buy them unless there on sale so I looked to see if there still on sale NO THEY WENT UP TO $4.29 I will never be able to buy them agian! I had a hard time being willing to spend 3 dollars let alone $3.99 but now at $4.29 the sale price will still be more then I have been willing to pay I just wanted to cry is this what people are talking about the food prices for? UGH

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:31 AM
Hugs, food prices are going up. You'll have to change up your shopping. I only stock up when on sale and often there are coupons for chips.

Are you in a big area or small town?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:33 AM
Ugh i'm sorry! First off, ((hugs)) and welcome to the group!! Second, have you tried any money saving ideas for the grocery bill? Someone in this group just posted 4 tips for lowering your grocery bill. Great article! Congrats on your pregnancy mama :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GrandmaSherry
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Yes, aren't those prices going crazy out there?  You are certainly not alone!  Stick around here on Frugalistas and see if you can find some good tips to cut back on your groceries.  I think you will be surprised at what you can save.  Also, maybe you could try to find a cheaper alternative for your favorite chips....don't give up!

ErrIsHuman
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM

well I am in a ok sized town but I dont get coupons and I dont really know how to use them online if I shop online I do great with coupon codes but I feel it is so much harder at the store...when I even start to think about coupons I just feel sooo stupid...:/ I read the tips and signed up for the super star saver thing and we also shop at kroger but MOST our shoping is at meijers and we love it there but there coupon policy dosent sound great...but I do meal plan from pay check to pay check and i meal plan around what we have and only get what we need (plus them darn chips..not anymore:() then we get snacks and munchies...but it seems like since being pregnant our food budget is hopeless I just want to eat ALL the time and I LOVE food lol UGH Thanks were excited and Im ready to be done lol she is due dec 13th but will be here by dec 8th by csec if all goes as planned:)

ErrIsHuman
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Yea sherry I have tried all the off brands of them and well nothing compares LOL I stopped eating them for about 6months to a year but just in the last few months started up agian ( i used to eat like a bag or so a week) but I watched a program or read somewhere dont remember witch that said that THESE chips MY FAV CHIPS are the WORST chips on the market for you heh so I stopped eating them and theres alot of chips on the market so if they are that bad I shouldent be eatting them anyhow and neither should my baby so its just the kick i needed but man o man did it have to happen when I wanted them so bad lol

Beth100
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Oh yeah!  That and so much more.......most of us try to cook from scratch, becuse it is less expensive.  Even the "staples" have gone up........flour, sugar, oil, spices.........it is scarey!  I love chips, also...........I'm not preggers......just old and feel I need my comforts.......but I have been going without them.  I know that when pregnant one has all kinds of cravings....so you may have to cut back somewhere else, if you want those chips.  I wish you the best!  Beth100

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/Beth100
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Quoting ErrIsHuman:

well I am in a ok sized town but I dont get coupons and I dont really know how to use them online if I shop online I do great with coupon codes but I feel it is so much harder at the store...when I even start to think about coupons I just feel sooo stupid...:/ I read the tips and signed up for the super star saver thing and we also shop at kroger but MOST our shoping is at meijers and we love it there but there coupon policy dosent sound great...but I do meal plan from pay check to pay check and i meal plan around what we have and only get what we need (plus them darn chips..not anymore:() then we get snacks and munchies...but it seems like since being pregnant our food budget is hopeless I just want to eat ALL the time and I LOVE food lol UGH Thanks were excited and Im ready to be done lol she is due dec 13th but will be here by dec 8th by csec if all goes as planned:)

Do you use the Mperks at Meijer?  You go to their online site, register for Mperks using your cell phone ##, then pick what online coupons you want to use.  Mperks will save them for you, then when you check out you just type in your cell phone ## and it will automatically take off the coupon values for you.

Rhonda

gotnothinonme
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM

If it's something you enjoy maybe you can find other areas to carve the cost out of - when I want something I find something else I'm willing to sacrifice to get it, or a way to make the money to get it. I'm sorry, being on a tight budget just sucks sometimes, I know!

specialwingz
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Exactly what I've been talking about.  Less than 3 months ago, a carton of 18 eggs was only $1.89.  They went up to $2.  Then, $2.10.  Last week, they had gone up to $2.49!!!!  Although I live in a small country town, there are still city ordinances to follow.  And, city ordinance does not allow me to have chickens.  GRRRR.

I could make an entire list of the things that have sky-rocketed for no good reason.  But, to save room, I will just say that my regular grocery list from 3 months ago, NOW costs me a minimum of $35.00 MORE.  And, it is a very basic list.  Literally a bare minimum.

gotnothinonme
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Quoting specialwingz:

Exactly what I've been talking about.  Less than 3 months ago, a carton of 18 eggs was only $1.89.  They went up to $2.  Then, $2.10.  Last week, they had gone up to $2.49!!!!  Although I live in a small country town, there are still city ordinances to follow.  And, city ordinance does not allow me to have chickens.  GRRRR.

I could make an entire list of the things that have sky-rocketed for not good reason.  But, to save room, I will just say that my regular grocery list from 3 months ago, NOW costs me a minimum of $35.00 MORE.  And, it is a very basic list.  Literally a bare minimum.

I've noticed it with eggs and meat the most- I actually plan for meat free meals as part of our budget because meat has become so darn expensive! And there are 7 of us- so I can't just pick up a two pack of something, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)