Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Short dated food

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:33 AM
  • 52 Replies

Hi,  Just a quick one for you.  How does everyone feel about buying short dated food or even food past it's best before date?  Here in the UK it's a big thing with even experts saying it's fine to do so as long as it's a best before and not a use buy date.  I do this myself but mainly with dry mixes etc and always make sure it looks and smells good.  Is there anyone else who does this?

Thanks for reading hugs

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM

well i buy meats that are close to the date and freeze them and then take them out when needed...that's about the only thing i will buy knowing it's a close date...

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM

The only problem I have with food that is past the best by date are meats, pancake or cake mix, and salad dressings.  Otherwise I know how to check cans of food for spoilage.  If something is close to it's date (meat or produce) I know I can freeze it to use later and it'll be fine.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM

other than that...sometimes food items already in the house ends up coming to being short dated cause we havent used it yet...

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM

oh and i usually only buy chicken like perdue when it is on sale for buy one get one free and stock up

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:14 AM

where in the UK are you located??

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Once in a while for meat I will buy it like that and make it that night but only if it looks good still, but really I can't remember the last time I did that way.

Or if I find the spare bananas on sale for quick sale, I can get a whole bunch for like 50 cents but I'm usually not at the store in time.

I just bought clearanced microwave popcorn and didnt notice it expires in Oct.  Well when I went to heat up a bag, I opened it and noticed it smells rancid, UGH!

throwing up

kimmykim
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Once in a while for meat I will buy it like that and make it that night but only if it looks good still, but really I can't remember the last time I did that way.

Or if I find the spare bananas on sale for quick sale, I can get a whole bunch for like 50 cents but I'm usually not at the store in time.

I just bought clearanced microwave popcorn and didnt notice it expires in Oct.  Well when I went to heat up a bag, I opened it and noticed it smells rancid, UGH!

throwing up

Take it back!!  Or call the company and complain. 

MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I've bought meat to freeze. There is a Kroger down the road that has had some great reduced meat that I can also combine with coupons to get awesome deals.

I try to steer clear of dressings and baking mixes. I don't seem to have good luck if those are past their prime.

busymumof7
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:29 AM

I do the same I've got 2 freezers full lol It's so much cheaper to do this as meat has gone so expensive :)

busymumof7
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:32 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

The only problem I have with food that is past the best by date are meats, pancake or cake mix, and salad dressings.  Otherwise I know how to check cans of food for spoilage.  If something is close to it's date (meat or produce) I know I can freeze it to use later and it'll be fine.

Yeah I would be wary of salad dressings and other fridge type products :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)