• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need $$$ :)

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM
  • 21 Replies
I am just venting, bear with me :)

I am super frugal. I have a good stockpile so I don't have to buy soap/razors/food/toilet paper now-yeah! Also, I have made a HUGE batch of laundry soap & will make dishwashing detergent when I run through my stockpile.

But....I can't find a way to economize my utility bills! At some point, you just need cash! Lol My DH has a new job that's commission based but he won't get commission until next month. I lost my job in July & we're really struggling.
I know my parents or his will help if our utilities are in danger of being shut off (we're close...) but I don't want to need that! I'm too old for this! My kids are wondering why we can't do things like buy ice cream when we're out. :(
Just stressed....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:59 AM
Have you applied for Liheap? It's public assistance for situations like this. Helps with energy costs. Have you called the utility companies to work out something?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Stick a half gallon jug of water in your toilet tank to cut back on the water used every time you flush.  If you can stand it, teach your family to not flush unless it's a bowel movement.  Use a water saving shower head.  Wash dishes only once a day.

Use cold water for your laundry.  Line dry your clothes.  Unplug small appliances when not in use, even cell phone chargers.  Turn computers off when not using...letting them be on all day is a significant power drag.  I set my computers to go into hibernation if they're not used for more than 5 minutes.  Game systems should be unplugged when not in use.  Those AC adapters for laptops, computers, and game systems use a significant amount of power when not in use but still plugged in.  Place a gallon jug (or few) of water in your freezer to fill the empty spaces.  A full freezer works less than a half full or nearly empty one.  Use your crock pot, electric skillet, toaster oven, or microwave to cook as much as possible since they use MUCH less power than your stovetop or oven.  Of course, set your AC to 82° and your heat to 66° - 68°.  You may be a bit uncomfortable but you'll get used to it.  Use blankets over the appropriate windows to block light (heat) or keep the heat in, whatever the case.  During the winter, a draft dodger or rug snugged up against closed doors to unused rooms or the outdoors will help with heating bills.

Those are all that I can think of for right now.

I totally understand.  Not having extra money is very hard when your kids are begging for a small treat. 

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:11 AM

great great tips

Quoting michiganmom116:

Stick a half gallon jug of water in your toilet tank to cut back on the water used every time you flush.  If you can stand it, teach your family to not flush unless it's a bowel movement.  Use a water saving shower head.  Wash dishes only once a day.

Use cold water for your laundry.  Line dry your clothes.  Unplug small appliances when not in use, even cell phone chargers.  Turn computers off when not using...letting them be on all day is a significant power drag.  I set my computers to go into hibernation if they're not used for more than 5 minutes.  Game systems should be unplugged when not in use.  Those AC adapters for laptops, computers, and game systems use a significant amount of power when not in use but still plugged in.  Place a gallon jug (or few) of water in your freezer to fill the empty spaces.  A full freezer works less than a half full or nearly empty one.  Use your crock pot, electric skillet, toaster oven, or microwave to cook as much as possible since they use MUCH less power than your stovetop or oven.  Of course, set your AC to 82° and your heat to 66° - 68°.  You may be a bit uncomfortable but you'll get used to it.  Use blankets over the appropriate windows to block light (heat) or keep the heat in, whatever the case.  During the winter, a draft dodger or rug snugged up against closed doors to unused rooms or the outdoors will help with heating bills.

Those are all that I can think of for right now.

I totally understand.  Not having extra money is very hard when your kids are begging for a small treat. 

abmm
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM
I set up my utilities on an equal payment plan. Now I know what my bill will be and I don't have a huge electric bill in the summer or huge gas bill in the winter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladywithtwo
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM
To add insult to injury, my fridge died during the night! Thankfully it's still under warranty so they're fixing it but that's all new food. I think it's been slowly dying. My old house (we moved in July) averaged maybe $100 or $120/month for elec. The new house, our first bill is $330!!!! I have insulated all doors, hung curtains, stuff like that.
I think the fridge was driving up the bill. I know the water company will adjust your bill for a leak, I wonder if the power company will?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladywithtwo
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM
I've never heard of that. I may have to look into it. I feel bad asking for it though when I have family that would help, you know?
I DO have state health insurance now bc I lost private when I lost my job. That has been a lifesaver!

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Have you applied for Liheap? It's public assistance for situations like this. Helps with energy costs. Have you called the utility companies to work out something?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Casper628
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM
Contact heap and find out if your utility companies participate in pipp its percentage of income, they cut your bill based on a percentage of your income and as long as you pay that amount on time they will credit your account to a certain percentage, i think the told me mine would be broke even in 18-24 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM
Contact your case worker, it is for emergencies. I try not to burden family unless it is absolute. I would first contact the companies, then if that don't work the liheap. It's not a forever deal. Also it sounds like your home is mainly electric? Our old home was a 100% electric everything. It was 300 each month and avoidable in the desert. If you don't have gas for anything, then you will be paying a higher price.

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

I've never heard of that. I may have to look into it. I feel bad asking for it though when I have family that would help, you know?

I DO have state health insurance now bc I lost private when I lost my job. That has been a lifesaver!

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I'm in the same boat. Luckily we live on base and don't worry about utilities, but I haven't found a way to cut down the other neccesary bill.. good luck though!!

daye62
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM

These are all good tips.The fridge was probably using too much power but I doubt the electric company will adjust the bill.I know here they wouldn't.One of the best tips you got was using heavy,dark curtains (blackout curtains are best) on the sunniest side of your home in the summer.Despite the fact that darkness affects my mood I reluctantly began that this summer.The difference in this summer's bills and last summer's was at least $100 per month,sometimes more.I also bought a new refrigerator this spring,replacing one that was 25 years old.Again major savings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)