• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it cheaper

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM
  • 25 Replies

to buy shredded cheese or a block of cheese and then shred it at home with an electric shredder?

I bought a salad shooter and was going to start buying blocks of cheese.. But wasn't really sure which one would be cheaper. And where would I buy blocks of cheese? The deli? Because the cheese isle only has small blocks.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM
I buy block cheese on sale, don't do the deli, that is costly. You can get 1 lb, 2 lb, and up to 4 lb blocks. I buy 2 lbs and shred them myself. It is cheaper in the long run.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hailnbray
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM

it really depends, u get more with the blocks of cheese however at least around here the already shredded goes on sale alot. id rather get 3 for 5.00 then pay 3 something and end up with a little less

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM
All depends on size and cost per oz. At 5.00 for a 16 oz shredded cheese here, verses the 3.99 for the same size the block is cheaper. You'll have to break down the cost for you're area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrschambers7508
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

It depends on where you are shopping and if you have coupons. I usually buy big bags of shredded cheese. Lasts a pretty good time!

naturalmom79
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:07 AM

We have like little country stores in PA, not sure where you live, but see if there are any bulk food stores, or anything like that and you can buy the big blocks of cheese.  We the whole block of cheese, and then cut it into about 2 in slabs and then vacuum seal them in our food saver and then pull out a package at a time and shred it or it can be shredded and then vacuum sealed.  We freeze it and it saves us a lot of money.  

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM

i usually get shredded :-(

specialwingz
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM

This is where you really have to compare the per-ounce prices.  It also depends on what kind you are buying.  My store brand has a 5 lb. bag of shredded colby-jack that is way cheaper than the block.  However, a "block" is no bigger than a pound around here.  In MN, a "block" is a 5 lb. block of cheese!  LOL.  I think I've seen these big blocks at Super WalMart.  But, I refuse to do grocery shopping there. 

RandiSheree
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM

i think its cheaper to buy a block and shred it...not to mention it tastes better...pre shredded cheese seems to be kind of hard and doesnt have as much flavor..

MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I don't think I've seen a big block of cheese before. I don't really know that I've ever looked though.

Anyway, I shop for cheese mostly at Kroger when it's on sale. Their 8 oz of block cheese vs 8 oz of shredded is the same price. It used to be 1.69 when on sale, but it has gone up to 1.89 recently.

I do buy some cheese from a nearby Amish market. I loooove their farmers cheese. I do wait, however, until it's on sale. It's typically 3.49/lb when on sale.

chrissysnow22
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM
I usually buy a block.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)