• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my plans

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM
  • 9 Replies

I've been married for almost 5 years in January, and my first child will turn 1 year old in November.  My DH and I are working our way out of debt.  We got loans and credit cards when emergencies struck, and now we're trying to get it all paid off.  We've moved from an expensive apartment on our own to a rundown house with friends, which cut our rent and utilities in half.  Now we hope to use that extra cash to pay off our debts and save up the downpayment for a house of our own.  We will soon have our car and then our van paid off.  We got 2 credit cards paid off and are working on the other 2.  Then we have 3 loans to pay off. 

DH got a loan to move when we got married, and then we got credit cards when we moved here from my hometown.  We got an $800 eye dr. bill right after moving here because my DH got a corneal ulcer.  Don't sleep in your contacts!  He's allergice to polyester and didn't reallize that he was using a polyester pillow when sleeping at a friend's house overnight on a business trip.  Also, 2 years ago we had 2 funerals to travel 3-4 hours for.  Then we replaced our tires last winter while I was pregnant with our DD. 

We've gotten set back, but now we're starting to move forward.  I want to set a good example for our DD and give her the experiences DH and I haven't gotten.

So now I'm starting to use coupons and am looking for a way to cut back on our monthly expenses such as phone, internet, and TV. 

I've heard about Dave Ramsey, and am thinking about looking into his plan.  I just have to get my DH on board. Wish me luck! 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Dave Ramsey's plan is good, and it works!!!!!!!  There is a Dave Ramsey Fans group here on CM and you'll get plenty of support and tips and hoorays as you move forward.

ishie4ever
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM
Thanks! I'll look for that group!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Dave Ramsey's plan is good, and it works!!!!!!!  There is a Dave Ramsey Fans group here on CM and you'll get plenty of support and tips and hoorays as you move forward.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM

This is a good group to be in. I've learned alot. Congrats on moving forward. My family has also had some set backs lately and it's easy to feel overwhelmed. The ladies in this group are an awesome support and have great suggestions. Good luck!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:35 PM

best wishes!!

ishie4ever
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM
Way to go!! Paying off debt feels amazing!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ishie4ever
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Yes it does.  But I'm ready to get out of the whole and feel like I'm making some real progress. 

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Way to go!! Paying off debt feels amazing!!

GrandmaSherry
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM

ishie4ever, so glad you have joined us here at Frugalistas!  Thanks for sharing your story....and I wish you well as you progress!

ishie4ever
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Thanks

Quoting GrandmaSherry:

ishie4ever, so glad you have joined us here at Frugalistas!  Thanks for sharing your story....and I wish you well as you progress!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)