• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freezing bananas saves me money!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM
  • 22 Replies

I used to throw out over-ripened bananas.  But now I slice them up and put them in a tupperware in the freezer.  I use the pieces to bulk up smoothies.

Or sometimes I take about one banana's worth out, put in a bowl, sprinkle with chocolate syrup and put a glob of frozen fat free whipped cream and some maraschino cherries, it's like a fat free, non lactose sundae!

Just don't let them thaw out, or they will be gross, lol.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rissarin
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM
Banana bread!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Mmmm!

If you let them thaw you can also use them in banana muffins and bread!

daye62
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:13 PM

You don't even need to peel them;for years I've had a gallon zip-loc "banana bag" in my freezer.The fruit gets over-ripe and into the bag I throw it,whole.Then I pull them out as needed for banana breads or muffins or for the famous frozen banana with chocolate sauce and whipped cream you mention.Been doing it for about 15 years,although you should know I'm not old.I think I was in pre-school when I started freezing bananas:) Anybody believe me?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Quoting daye62:

You don't even need to peel them;for years I've had a gallon zip-loc "banana bag" in my freezer.The fruit gets over-ripe and into the bag I throw it,whole.Then I pull them out as needed for banana breads or muffins or for the famous frozen banana with chocolate sauce and whipped cream you mention.Been doing it for about 15 years,although you should know I'm not old.I think I was in pre-school when I started freezing bananas:) Anybody believe me?

I've had major problems peeling frozen bananas.  How do you do it?

Rhonda

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I have thrown them in peeled once and I had to scrape off the peel and the texture seemed ruined but that is interesting.

Anellie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Yeah, that's the same thing that happened to my bananas when I left the skin on too. I wonder how does she do it?

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

I have thrown them in peeled once and I had to scrape off the peel and the texture seemed ruined but that is interesting.

chrissysnow22
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:14 PM
I use mine for banana bread and banana ice cream.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:15 PM
I freeze them for banana bread
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM

oh great idea

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM

will have to try that sometime

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)