Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking a pumpkin

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

I've never done this before and have a couple questions::

I'm wanting to bake some small pumpkins we have leftover from Halloween to use for baking.  The kids kinda painted on them so will they still be okay in the oven?  Also can the puree be frozen?

I know silly questions but I'm new to this kind of stuff!!!

Thanks

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
evansmommy03
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I have no idea about the paint but I puree pumpkin and freeze it for my daughter all the time so yes you can freeze it.  I think it will last 3 months in the freezer.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM

not sure either :-(

MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I'm not sure about the paint. I've baked pumpkin and froze the puree as baby food when my DS was little.

KenzieQsMommy
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM
It would depend on the paint IMO. You don't use the skin so I think it'd be fine if you could wash it off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I would definitely wash the paint off before baking.  If you can't get the paint off, then I'd peel it.

mewebb82
by Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:00 AM
First off, are they cooking pumpkins? If they are decorative pumpkins they won't taste good. I would try to wash the paint off as much as possible, but as long as it's nontoxic paint I would think it would be ok since you don't eat the skin. Yes, you can freeze. I do that every year to save the puree for thanksgiving pies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:45 AM

You can cook any pumpkin.  It's a squash no matter what type it is.  The larger pumpkins just aren't as sweet.  But, most recipes call for sugar anyway.  So, it's all good.  As for the paint, the toxicity (or the lack thereof) is definitely important.  But, setting that aside,  I would also be concerned with fumes or odors that can come from baking in a 300+* oven.  Although the skin does get removed and not eaten, the odor the baking paint may create can be infused into the flesh itself causing an "off" flavor.

Quoting mewebb82:

First off, are they cooking pumpkins? If they are decorative pumpkins they won't taste good. I would try to wash the paint off as much as possible, but as long as it's nontoxic paint I would think it would be ok since you don't eat the skin. Yes, you can freeze. I do that every year to save the puree for thanksgiving pies.

Beth100
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I would wash or cut the paint off before baking.  The meat can be frozen.  It is good stuff!  Beth100

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/Beth100
RutterMama
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:38 PM
No idea. Never done it. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lrose57
by on Nov. 11, 2011 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

found this online... cause I have 6 to cook!

pickyourown.org/pumpkincooking.php

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)