Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Dollar Store

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 6:59 AM
  • 25 Replies
Rhondas post got me to thinking
How much do you really save at the dollar store? What do you like or dislike buying from there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 6:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrissysnow22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Some things are great deals however like another post mentioned the quality on some things are really lacking. For that matter some things are not even a good deal. For instance

I went to the $1 store last week and got a deal on photo paper. I paid $1 for the amount we pay $10 for at target.

Toothpaste and a 3pk of dove are also $1

On the flip side one bottle of dishwashing liquid is $1 and in walgreens the same size is €.94 and if you coupon it's .25 off of that.

Eggs are sold by the 6 pack and at most other stores a dozen are less than $2.00

Overall I think that the dollar store has some great finds but I wouldn't do my regular grocery shopping there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
endurablemist
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:18 AM

If you know what items cost at other stores you can really save a lot in a dollar store. But like you said soap is usually on sale cheaper else where.

Also out grocery store doubles coupons up to .99, so if I have a .75 coupon  it doubles to 1.50, which would probably be cheaper than the dollar store. I shop at the dollar store, grocery store and rite aid so much I know the regular cost of almost everything I buy, so I know where my best deal is!

lovemyirish
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 8:21 AM
I like to buy my cleaning products from the $1.00 store. Name brand products too. I bought a few 3 pks of microfiber washcloths and they are the SOFTEST things ever. I love them!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the dollar store, what I need, and how far I'm willing to drive.

Dollar Tree is...eh...okay for paper products and cheap books, candy and party supplies.

Dollar Zone is just plain cheap crap.

Family Dollar has some decent deals but I'm not a fan because our store is crowded.

Dollar General is where I do most of my dollar store shopping.  The store is very clean, the employees are friendly and pleasant, and they take manufacturers coupons and printed coupons along with their own coupons, which are usually $5 off $25 purchase on weekends.  I buy food, vitamins, pain reliever, personal care products, cleaners, clothing, toys, DVDs and electronics there.  They often have clearance deals or specials and there are some really great finds, such as the nightshirts and PJ pants that I got for $1 each for my DD.  I find their store brand to be VERY comparable to national brands and have no complaints about anything.  In fact, their toilet bowl cleaner is MUCH better than The Works!

michiganmom116
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to drive 15 miles to the nearest Walmart, and only 2 miles to Dollar General.  That, along with the fact that I find Walmart to be the most irritating store to shop, makes my decision much easier. 

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:41 AM

To me, the "dollar store" is Dollar Tree.  So I will base my reply on that.  My favorite things I have gotten there have been gift bags, tissue paper, Lysol kitchen disinfectant spray, Clorox toilet cleaner, Stouffer vanilla wafers, snacks like swiss rolls for the kids, little packets of peanuts for my hubby's lunches, 4 pack of italian ice, drinking glasses (have had them now several months and they are still very good), glass vases, big storage bags, sandwich bags, wax paper, those cut sheets of foil (love those!)

I don't like the food in tiny boxes, I won't buy batteries or clothes there

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Nov. 18, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Some things are great deals however like another post mentioned the quality on some things are really lacking. For that matter some things are not even a good deal. For instance

I went to the $1 store last week and got a deal on photo paper. I paid $1 for the amount we pay $10 for at target.

On the flip side one bottle of dishwashing liquid is $1 and in walgreens the same size is €.94 and if you coupon it's .25 off of that.

Eggs are sold by the 6 pack and at most other stores a dozen are less than $2.00

Overall I think that the dollar store has some great finds but I wouldn't do my regular grocery shopping there.

I WISH I could get a 3 pack of Dove for $1!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2330708181063.124692.1050491654&type=3

specialwingz
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I don't shop at the $ stores.  I'm not a $ store snob or anything.  It's just that they are not close or convenient for me to get to.

chrissysnow22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:14 PM
I was so excited when I saw that! That's thousands of loads of laundry detergent.

Quoting chrisnjoesmom:

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I WISH I could get a 3 pack of Dove for $1!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM

pregnancy tests are SO cheap at the dollar store...the inexpensive one is 2 bucks and the "expensive" one is 4 lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)