Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Energy question

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:45 PM
  • 5 Replies

We generally leave our computer on all the time.  I'm starting to wonder how much of an energy drain this is.  We just got our gas/electric bill, and it jumped a lot from this time last year.  One, my little one can turn on lights now, and two, she watches a lot more tv then we did last fall.  I'm guessing all three things are effecting the bill, but I'm wondering if its pennies or dollars that these things are racking up.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Beth100
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:03 PM

We always log off during the night.  We turn off every light we are not useing.  We set the thermostat at one temp and never touch it.  We do, however have one of those Amish fireplaces that we turn on if it seem chilly in t he house.  We shut off rooms, so that the furnace doesn't have to run for rooms that we don't occupy much.  We have seen our energy bill go down a bit......not a bunch, but enough to handle, for now!

michiganmom116
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I went through the house and set all the computers to go to hibernate if not in use for 10 to 15 minutes.  A computer uses 120 watts on up if it's running, compared to 3 watts if it's in hibernate (or so I read).  Our electric bill dropped by a good $10+.   We have 2 desktops and 1 laptop in the house.

heavensdaughter
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:40 PM

It's my dream some day to get one of those compnaies to come in and check the house for leaks and such...  we bought a fixer upper and it seems so drafty.  We plastic off the insides of the windows for now during the cold months, make sure that if we aren't using it it goes off.  I am guilty of leaving the computer on all night too even though it's in sleep.  We leave our phone chargers plugged in too often as well, and I know that takes electricity even when phones aren't charging.  We do have most everything in our house plugged in to power bars though so I can just go through and click off the power bars before I go to bed.  That means that the clocks on the microwave, stove, and vcra never is set to the right time, but I think it saves money in the long run...  and a penny saved is a penny earned!

KenzieQsMommy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM

My electric bill has included an average cost per day calculation. I'll bet if you called them they could compare it to last years. We watch much more TV too these days and I HATE it!!

AiW
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Rhonda- I just set our sleep setting on our screen and computer.  We should have done that ages ago.

Heather- we watch way too much tv.  I think I'm going to get a timer just for my DD so she can see when she runs out of tv time (right now, she watches significantly more than what the A.Academy of Pediatrics recommends).  There have been no strictly enforced limits, which I feel bad about, so now I have incentive to scale it back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)