Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good evening ladies

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:57 PM
  • 3 Replies

Good evening ladies. My name is Dana and I am a single mom from Ohio. I would really love to learn how to save money any way that I can. In 2 months my son and I will be moving 20 hours away to San Antonio, Texas so I will need to save all the money I can and figured it would be better to learn sooner rather than later.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Dakee
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Hi!  This is a great group to learn from!  For my family, it was the eating out.  We cook more at home and try to do as much as possible from scratch.  Some nights though there isn't time so we eat what we can if it's a boxed or frozen meal, and to me that's better than fast food out.  I have been freezing my own meals lately to use in that situation.  

heavensdaughter
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM

There are so many little ways to save money that I think add up big time.  I just try to live by the phrases "A penny saved is a penny earned" and "Waste not, want not"

You know if you aren't using it, shut it off. 

If you don't need it, don't buy it.

If you can use something that's re-usable instead of something disposable that you'll need to replace, then do.  We use a lot of cloth (napkins, paper towls, diapers....),

and a lot of inexpensive cleaning supplies (home made laundry detergent, vinegar, baking soda). 

I really search for good deals and use coupons.  And we buy most everything we will need throughout the year as far as household and clothing through the summer on yard sales.  I do a lot of my Christmas and birthday shopping at the after Christmas sales and end of season sales and clearance racks, then save them aside in bins in the storage room for when I need them. 

We also cook.  If I am craving something from a certain restaurant I can almost always find recipes online and I plan it in to the following weeks menu  :)

Always remind the children that they can do their part by using less as far as electricity and water....  and not overusing bathroom products (6 girls can get pretty wasteful without reminders!)

That's just some of the things that we do that I can think of off the top of my head, lol

Beth100
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Hi!  And welcome to Frugalistas.  We can sure help you with your budget!  And we are always happy to have a new member!  So, jump in and start asking questions!  We make our own laundry detergent, & cleaners so you can cross those off your grocery list!  We plan our meals for the week, and coupon, and make lists.....well...as you can see...it goes on and on!  We are really happy to have you here!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)