Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bread machine

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM
  • 12 Replies

Im thinking about getting a bread machine. I'm gluten free and it would be cheaper to make my own. I've never had one so don't have any idea what to look for. Does anyone have one? what kind? do you like it?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I have two, a Toastmaster that has taken a LOT of abuse over the past 15 years and still runs strong, and a Sunbeam with horizontal loaf pan that has a lot of options.  I like them both.  Now they're only used when I'm making bread for someone else because I also eat gluten-free and I don't bother with breads unless they're made with almond or coconut flour, and those don't "work" well with yeast.

Check out your local thrift stores before buying a new one.  I've gotten both of mine for CHEAP and each had been used once...the previous owners didn't appreciate fresh made bread.

I'm also owner of the Bread Machine Moms group here on CM.  We do have a forum for Gluten-Free recipes.

lynettemommie4
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have two, a Toastmaster that has taken a LOT of abuse over the past 15 years and still runs strong, and a Sunbeam with horizontal loaf pan that has a lot of options.  I like them both.  Now they're only used when I'm making bread for someone else because I also eat gluten-free and I don't bother with breads unless they're made with almond or coconut flour, and those don't "work" well with yeast.

Check out your local thrift stores before buying a new one.  I've gotten both of mine for CHEAP and each had been used once...the previous owners didn't appreciate fresh made bread.

I'm also owner of the Bread Machine Moms group here on CM.  We do have a forum for Gluten-Free recipes.

oh ok. thanks. ill check that group out.

chrissysnow22
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM
I Have sunbeam got it for a little under $50 and I love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I bought mine a few years ago and sadly don't use it as much as is like
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tootslil
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Me too

Quoting chrissysnow22:

I Have sunbeam got it for a little under $50 and I love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariC67
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I make my own bread but I dont use a bread machine, I like working it with my hands. And I have no idea how that would work with being gluten free sorry

MariC67

Proud owner of The CM P.I.T. group, come join us!

Momof589
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:51 AM

i have one to but don't use it much either

specialwingz
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I absolutely LOVED mine.  However, it died last year and I haven't replaced it yet.  I've had other things come up that have moved it lower on the list (like my microwave going out on us this last weekend).  :-/

Mine was a magic Chef and it did a splendid job.  But, it was over 10 years old and was WELL used.  I just plum wore it out.

I plan on replacing it and am looking at various ones trying to make up my mind.  Thankfully, I have my Kitchen Aid stand mixer and my dough hook to do the kneading for me since my wrists and shoulders can't do it anymore.

mom2aspclboy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I have an old Sunbeam that was my mother's. It's easy to use & works quite well considering how old it is (about 20 yrs. old). 

There are bread machines that have a gluten-free setting on them, so you might want to focus on the brands that have the GF setting, but if you find a good deal on a regular machine, then there are some things you'll need to know...Look for one that has a larger paddle for the mixing, because GF breads tend to be heavier & a larger paddle will mix the ingredients better. If you find a machine that has two smaller paddles & want to use it, then you'll need to combine the ingredients in a bowl before putting them in the machine. Make sure your machine can be programmed for one rising cycle or stopped after the first rising cycle, as that is all you'll need for GF breads.

I made GF breads for my son for years & it is definately easier to do it with the machine. 

mammapav
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I just got one for free. It is 7 year old and never used everything is still wrapped in plastic. I have to read the directions and try to make some bread this week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)