• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeless Teen's Success Proves Kids Who Don't Get 'Everything' Can Still Do Anything

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

Homeless Teen's Success Proves Kids Who Don't Get 'Everything' Can Still Do Anything

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on January 13, 2012

samantha garveySomething I worry about as a parent (kind of a lot) is the fact that I don't have the means to give my kids every opportunity I want to give them. I wish I could expose them to every amazing, enriching, curious, fantastic thing in the world right now. Now, while their minds and hearts are still open to the possibility of anything and everything.

It feels like my kids are limited by my limited resources, and that kills me.

So I can only imagine how 17-year-old Samantha Garvey's parents must have felt when the family was evicted from their Long Island home on New Year's Eve. Knowing that their intelligent, hard-working, enthusiastic daughter with the dreams of becoming a marine biologist would now be doing her homework in a homeless shelter.

It would break any parent's heart. And Samantha's parents must have felt so helpless: Her mother Olga, a nurse's assistant, had been out of work for 8 months following a car accident; her father Leo, a cab driver, couldn't cover all the family's bills on his salary.

To me, that eviction notice would have felt like the death warrant for my daughter's hopes and ambitions.

But it wasn't. Far from it!

The family had only been living in the shelter for a few days when Samantha got the best news of her life. She was named a semi-finalist in the super-prestigious national Intel Science Talent Search for her work researching local marine life, one of the 300 students chosen from 1,838 applicants nationwide. The honor means that Samantha is now in the running for a $100,000 scholarship.

And it gets better. Since the announcement, the Garveys have been placed by social services in a fixed rate 3-bedroom rental home. Samantha was offered an internship by the county to work on marine and fisheries issues. And as news of Samantha's accomplishment spreads, the donations are pouring in -- one anonymous donor even paid for Samantha's 4-year-old pit bull to be vaccinated (she was afraid the dog would be euthanized when the family had no home).

I'm beyond thrilled for Samantha and her family (and her dog). I'm actually grateful. Because while Samantha Garvey's parents couldn't give her everything, they obviously gave her something -- and whatever they gave her was enough to make her dreams come true.

And as a parent who can't give my kids everything, that gives me hope.

Do you ever worry about not being able to give your kids enough?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mommystiebler
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Not really, but that story brought tears to my eyes! I hope my kids appreciate what I can give them though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aceballos
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM

i feel I give my kids what they need. Every parent wishes they could afford the finer things in life and to give their children what they didn't have and most of the time that's not possible. What I do give my kids besides food and shelter is love , understanding, patience, communication and the knowledge I will be there for them no matter what. And money can't buy the relationship I have with my children.

sassymomntx1961
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 8:26 AM

The only time I ever felt bad was when my 2 oldest wanted to live w/ thier dads because I felt they could buy them what I couldnt.I try and take what I learned w/ them on how to be a better parent and cherish the time I have w/ youngest dd.I have GOD in my life now and I know that has a positive impact on mine and dd's life.I even told her that next Christmas She may only get 3 gifts like the 3 gifts the wisemen gave Jesus.I wish I could put this on my fb status

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

chrissysnow22
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Working with the homeless shelters and feeding ministries growing up I learned material things are not most important. I want to instill that in my son. Of course there are things I wish I could do but I don't worry about it because his needs are being taken care of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)