Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

QOTD 2/3/12

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 7 Replies
How do you save electricity during the winter?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Same way I do during the summer:  use as much natural light as possible; cook using the stove/oven as little as possible; and turn off lights/computers/TVs/game systems when not in use.

MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I do the same stuff all year round. I don't turn on lights unless we have to. We have lots of windows with great natural light. We don't leave chargers plugged in unless they are being used. We turn off the TV, game system, computer, etc if we aren't using them.

mom2aspclboy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2012 at 3:46 PM

We don't have many windows, but those we do have I keep uncovered to let the light in, plus we keep the heat turned down & turn off stuff that isn't being used. We also plus unplug things that can suck power even when they're turned off, like the computer. Honestly, it isn't much different from what we do the rest of the year.

lexipooh78
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Mostly the same stuff I do year round. Keep things unplugged/turned off. Combine my baking with cooking dinner to save on using the oven. Open the blinds during the day to let the natural light/heat in and close them as the temp drops to help keep the cold out.  Also we keep the heat really low. We set it to 60-62 during the day and 50 at night. We just dress a little warmer and throw and extra blanket on the bed. Once Wyatt is a little older and will keep blankets on better we will turn the heat off over night.

Meteor
by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Same here, we keep heat as low as possible. I also knit a lot so that keeps my hands warm, and my family now has more pairs of woolen socks than they can wear, haha! :-) We only keep heat on at nights in DD's room because she always kicks off her blankets in her sleep so she'd be quite cold by the morning without some extra warmth through the heater. Might have to just zip her up in a sleeping bag, haha! ;-)

And all this is in Navy housing where we don't even pay for electricity so I'm looking for even more ways to save for when we start paying bills ourselves later this year. Keep the ideas coming! Thank you!! :-)

Quoting lexipooh78:

Also we keep the heat really low. We set it to 60-62 during the day and 50 at night. We just dress a little warmer and throw and extra blanket on the bed.

Melissa823
by Member on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:02 AM
I taught my one year old how to shut off lights!
specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Pretty much the same things I do all year, really.  Our heating is gas.  So, it really doesn't affect our electric bill as much as the a/c in summer.  And, in TX, it's hot at least 9-10 months of the year.  But, I do regulate the blinds to utilize the warmth of the sun to keep the heater from kicking on quite so often since it does take electricity to run the fan.

But, electricity-wise, we have energy saving bulbs in all the sockets.  Our end table lamps have been re-fitted for 3-way bulbs.  This way, we can turn them on to the lowest wattage when we don't need it to be just bright bright.  And, up a click or 2 when we are reading or entertaining and just need a bit more light.  Most of the time, they are just on the lowest wattage setting.  Our bedside lamps are wired the same way.

We turn off and/or unplug things that aren't in use.  Although, I refuse to unplug things that are programmable, such as my coffee pot (need that coffee to be ready in the mornings on the weekends, during the week I use my Keurig), dvr recorder (can't record your shows you're missing if it's unplugged) microwave (use it regularly throughout the day and plug is difficult to get to), tv (don't wanna have to rescan for channels every time we turn it on).

Of course, turning off lights in the rooms we aren't in is a given.  That's all I can think of right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)