Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seems almost anything can be frozen

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM
  • 23 Replies
I did some research I got eggs .86 a dozen and potatoes 1.11 5lbs I stocked up on chicken at .39lb. I got 60lbs of tatoes and 12 dozen eggs all to be frozen. Breakfast/dinners cost me 200.00 for a month. My freezers are now full.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amy127
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM
You can freeze eggs? Never knew that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM

wow great deals

KenzieQsMommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Awesome!! I've heard that eggs don't freeze well so be careful!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenniferlee_12
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM

nice

my4boys2002
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Im hoping they will be ok, if not I'll make French toast. I'm hoping it goes ok

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Let me know! Sometimes the 18packs go on sale for $1.98 and I always wish I could stock up!

Quoting my4boys2002:

Im hoping they will be ok, if not I'll make French toast. I'm hoping it goes ok

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LowryCuisine
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM

How do you freeze eggs?

mom2aspclboy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Eggs will freeze very well if you do it right.

1) You should not freeze them in the shell, because they will not stay fresh & they will get gross. 

2) If you want to freeze them as whole eggs, you should beat them until just blended, either individually or in groups. If individually, pour each egg into an ice cube tray & cover tightly with saran, then freeze the eggs. Once frozen, they can be popped out & put into a freezer bag or other container, sealed well, dated & labeled. If you do a group (for recipes you use often, for example), be sure to note how many eggs, as well. 

3) For just whites, separate the eggs individually & very carefully, making sure there is no yolk mixed in with the white. Use an ice cube tray to freeze, as stated above, to freeze individual egg whites, etc. or freeze in groups as stated above, etc.

4) For just yolks, there are extra steps. Egg yolks will thicken or gel when frozen, so if you freeze them w/o prepping them properly, they'll get so thick that you won't be able to use them in recipes. To help slow down the gelling process, beat in 1/8 teaspoon salt per 1/4 cup of yolks for those that will be used in savory dishes or 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (or corn syrup) per 1/4 cup of yolks for those to be used in sweet dishes. 4 yolks=1/4 cup. Be sure to label which is which when you put them in the freezer.

5) To thaw your eggs for use, leave them overnight in the refrigerator or you can run them under cool tap water. Use them as soon as they are defrosted, because they'll get yucky pretty quickly.

6) To use your previously frozen eggs, use 2 tablespoons thawed egg yolk for 1 large fresh egg or 3 tablespoons thawed whole eggs for 1 large fresh egg.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you cooked those potatoes first or they'll turn grey or black.

my4boys2002
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Yes I did mashed potatoes and French fries
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)