Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just made my first batch of homemade laundry detergent!!! UDATE in replies

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM
  • 86 Replies
4 moms liked this

I just made my first batch of homemade laundry detergent.  It was not as bad as I thought it would be!

Let's just hope that it turns out ok.

It cost me about 7.60 for the borax, washing soda, and soap.  Then I bought a 5 gallon bucket and a grater (so I don't use the one I use to grate cheese).  So for everything I spent about 12.00..But of course the grater and 5 gallon bucket are a 1 time purchase. 

The borax and washing soda will last forever..lol. 

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mammapav
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Congratulation !!!! I save so much money making my own.

starbeck96
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  I am so excited.  Surprisingly, even my husband didn't try to talk me out of it.  He just let me make it (even went and got me a 5 gallon bucket).  Then he asked me about how long it would last and how much it cost.  I told him after he bought the 5 gallon bucket and I bought the few things I needed it was around 12.00.  Then I told him that according to the Duggars it would last 180 loads.  He said there is no way that 5 gallon bucket makes that much...lol.  I then had to tell him that you pour it into the old containers and fill it half full and then add water.  And you use about 1/2 cup per load!

He was very impressed.  The real test comes when I actually get to wash a load using it..lol.

chrissysnow22
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Way to go! My dh didn't even notice until I told him it was homemade and it was halfway gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa823
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Where did you get your washing soda? I'm having a hard time finding it.
Tfor2
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Melissa823:

I found mine at walmart in the laundry isle nest to the borax

starbeck96
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Quoting Tfor2:

Quoting Melissa823:

I found mine at walmart in the laundry isle nest to the borax

This is where I found mine also.  They only had like boxes of it so it was pushed towards the back.  I believe it was on the bottom shelf.  The borax and washing soda were on the same aisle (same side) as the stain removers.

TenleysMomma
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Good for you. Wish I knew how to do it! Laundry soap is so expensive. I find myself buying the cheap kinds now instead of Tide. Ugh!

Search & Win

starbeck96
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Quoting chrissysnow22:

Way to go! My dh didn't even notice until I told him it was homemade and it was halfway gone.

Well, my husband knows I am making it, but he won't know exactly when I use it..lol.  I still have some laundry detergent left from last week when I bought some.  But I think I am going to try to do at least one load today, because I just don't know if I can wait any longer to try it..lol.

starbeck96
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Quoting TenleysMomma:

Good for you. Wish I knew how to do it! Laundry soap is so expensive. I find myself buying the cheap kinds now instead of Tide. Ugh!

It is very easy to make.  The hardest part is probably grating the soap..lol.

Here is the recipe I used.

http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30455/homemade_liquid_laundry_soap_front_or_top_load_machine_best_value

TenleysMomma
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Thank you so much!!!

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting TenleysMomma:

It is very easy to make.  The hardest part is probably grating the soap..lol.

Here is the recipe I used.

http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30455/homemade_liquid_laundry_soap_front_or_top_load_machine_best_value

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)