Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Make eggs last longer

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

I saw on a TV show last night that u can make eggs last a lot longer by rubbing them all over with mineral oil. Think its true?

by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TerraMag
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

yes but i think you have to do that before you wash them. straight from the chicken and just brush off excess dirt or whatever. 

specialwingz
by Corey on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Being that mineral oil is toxic and should NEVER be ingested, I would never use it on eggs.  The eggshell absorbs anything you put on it.  And, will then seep into the actual egg.  Even odors in your fridge can penetrate the shell and turn an egg.  This is why it is recommended to store eggs in your fridge in a closed container.  But, rubbing with mineral oil, I'd definitely be afraid of that.

oldmandba
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:29 PM

T

pittawadda
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM
I've done it when eggs were super sale. It has been fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pittawadda
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM
It isn't that toxic. You aren't chugging it. In fact, I wash them before u use them.

Quoting specialwingz:

Being that mineral oil is toxic and should NEVER be ingested, I would never use it on eggs.  The eggshell absorbs anything you put on it.  And, will then seep into the actual egg.  Even odors in your fridge can penetrate the shell and turn an egg.  This is why it is recommended to store eggs in your fridge in a closed contaier.  But, rubbing with mineral oil, I'd definitely be afraid of that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN