Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CSA

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
How many of you (who don't garden or don't have much of a garden) do a CSA(community supported agriculture)? You pay in a share and get a 1/2 bushel of fresh produce every week, or 1/2 shares are every other week. I'm going to do mine this year. 1/2 share is $175. When I get my food I'll know it's only been picked for less than 24 hours!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenzieQsMommy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM
That's so cool!! I never knew that existed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cardingtonlizzy
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM

We don't have that, but I'm talking my dad into plowing out a garden this year at his place so we can plant and can veggies.

ThePinkRobot
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM
My neighbors do that. I've thought about it. I have the perfect garden spot though. I just need motivation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Wow, never heard of that. You pay $175/ week or does that cover a certain amount?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessWulf84
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM

my midwife's office does bountiful baskets http://bountifulbaskets.org/

jody230
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM

I do a CSA, and I garden. $175 a share is a great deal. Mine is $425. It breaks down to about $21 a week. Sometimes we get more produce than we could use in a week, so we'd eat the stuff you couldn't freeze first, then freeze what we couldn't finish.  In my garden I do mostly freezable or cannable vegetables, that way I can stock my freezer.

mom2aspclboy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM

We grow our own garden, but I've looked into our local CSA. They don't have enough shares for the number of people who want them, so they charge big bucks when they are available ($450 for a half share), which we just can't afford, so I haven't joined. Our garden gives us most of what we eat anyway, so it's not a big deal. 

mallowcup17
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:08 AM

i want to do it...may have to look into it

specialwingz
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I have my own garden.  So, I just can't justify the cost for myself.  However, my SIL's mother lives in an apartment.  She gardens in a community garden.  I don't know the specifics, such as cost.  But, I know it works out very well for her.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Our local CSA (1 mile from me) is advertising $275 a full share.  I've seen their veggies and it's a NICE haul!

I have my own garden.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)