Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Couponing/Stockpiling Vent- I NEED HELP!!! PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM
  • 15 Replies

What do you stock pile on? I did my first coupon spree the other day and at the time it seemed like i save SOOOOOO much money. But now looking back on it, I think I spent more than normal.... I got a lot of things I wouldnt normally get and actually told my SO that we can get it and give it to the food bank... well that is all fine and dandy but now i have no more food money budgeted out for the rest of the month... I actually had to dip into my savings (granted it was less than a dollar over) to purchase all the food.... so I have a new outlook on my couponing ways. I am only going to get coupons for foods that I need. I recieve food stamps so I try not to go over that. Well I wont get any more til the seventh of next month... AND IM OUT OF MILK!!!!!!!!! I have talked to SO and we agreed to only use coupons on food we will need, but we do want to start a stockpile for other necessities. We got 10 things of dish soap for $10 and it is deals like that we want to stock pile, but it is hard living paycheck to paycheck already.... Thoughts? Words of wisdom here? Thanks!

by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amerslynn
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't get things unless I will use them. I think it's silly to get something just because, if I won't use it, it's just more clutter.

I would stick with only what you know you will use. Like the dish soap, you won't need to buy anymore for a long time, so don't even if it's a great deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lynettemommie4
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM

did you coordinate sales and coupons?

KristiDLee23
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I did some stock piling with coupons myself only to realize what a waste it was shortly after. Most of it is void of nutrition. Ive given a lot away and gave to the food bank other than the water and granola bars....stuff we can actually eat and use in an emergency without running water or power.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

i stockpile mostly health and beauty stuff that we will use up in 6-8 months. i dont do a lot of food things but have found ways to save money using coupons on things we buy anyways...

starbeck96
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I know what you mean. 

I only buy what we use.  I also make sure to use coupons with sales.  I only try to buy when things are at rock bottom prices.  For example, Kroger had Old Spice bodywash on sale for 2.49 each.  I had coupon for 2.00 off.  I made sure to get extra papers that day because I knew I could get enough to last a year.  So I got about 20 bottles for 49 cents each.

I try to do things like that as often as possible.  Of course there are times that I have to give regular price for things.  I still use a coupon, but I never try to stockpile on things that are regular price.

I started with a small goal of only stockpiling for 2-3 months at a time.  Then I just gradually added to that.  The past few months DH had very little work and our stockpile dwindled, but that is what it was there for.  So next month, I will start trying to rebuild it..

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Feb. 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I only stockpile toiletries. Its the only thing pretty much gauranteed at least a years shelf life and I know we *will* use it. If I have any doubt I don't buy it. Food coupons are mostly processed junk you can make at home. Mac and cheese, make at home, hamburger helper, make at home. It's healthier and cheaper in the long run. The only things food relates I'll stock up on are things like emerald nuts. They occasionally go on massive sale or get clearanced and there are always coupons for those. Nuts are a good protein so they're good to have for snacks. I'd stick with toiletries for a while. For food I stock up on what's on sale. Like when boneless skinless chicken breast goes on sale at 1.99/lb I buy a lot and stock the freezer. I also pick up at least one extra can of veggie, cream of whatever, etc everythime I shop. If its something I will always need or use (tomato sauce, black beans, green beans etc) I can justify the extra .60ยข.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lillysmom27
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 8:27 AM

If you are going to stockpile, do it slowly, and look at all the sale ads, and then use the coupons on the sale ads.  I agree with all the other moms....most of our stockpile it toiletries, and cleaning supplies, and such.  You just have to be smart about it....make sure you do have enough in your budget to do it, if not, it will put you over, and then you will kick yourself!  Also, it is a nice idea to give to the foodbank, and others, but if you don't have the extra to do so...think for you and you family first, once you have enough stocked up...then donate!

Mom2NandJ
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM
I stockpile only the things we use unless the item is free using a coupon and then I donate it. I started stockpiling a couple of months before the company I worked for closed. It has really helped while I have been looking for work. Using coupons & sales was able to get dish soap for free, very cheap laundry soap, dryer sheets & dishwasher tablets. I've got enough to last the rest of the year. I also buy meat using Zacon Foods which sells meat in bulk which I vacuum seal in meals portions and freeze. It's hard work to keep up with the best deals but it's worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM
This is what I do. I don't get it unless we already use it. Try and use a sale and a coupon. Have a set price on how much you are willing to spend per item. For example. I know I can get tooth past for no more the 25cents per tube so I won't pay anything more then that. And you don't have to build your stock pile over night do it slowly. It took me about a year to build up our pile but now I only really need milk, eggs fruits and veggies on a weekly basis. If you have any other questions you can always message me.
chrissysnow22
by on Feb. 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Tak inventory. I look and see what we use regularly, and make a list of how much you need on hand and start stockpiling those things.

I try and keep 25lbs of flour
10lbs of sugar 5lbs of baking soda 1 gallon of vinegar so whenever I get below that I know it's time to shop those sales again.

I always bring a list and only add things that are a great buy and that I will use.

I also have a budget of $10 for stockpiling per tripso I don't go sale crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN