• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All my recipes in one place

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM
  • 20 Replies
5 moms liked this

A lot of people have been asking for my cleaning and natural recipes. So, here they are:

Air freshener 

2 cups hot water

1/8 cup baking soda

1/2 cup lemon juice or a few drops of your favorite essential oils 

Put the backing soda and hot water into an empty, clean spray bottle. Put the lid on and shake until dissolved. Add a few drops of essential oils or 1/2 cup of lemon juice. If you use lemon juice, keep in the fridge. 

Carpet freshener 

Box of baking soda

25 drops of essential oils.

Put in shaker (like empty Parmesan cheese container)

Shake on carpet, let sit at least 30 min & vacuum up

Mr. Clean magic eraser 

Melamine foam

*Found on amazon for $0.50 a piece! 

Reusable dryer sheets 

4 parts liquid fabric softener

10 parts hot water

Put several scrap fabric pieces in container w/ lid or new, unused dish sponges; pour liquid mixture over fabric strips & shake. Let sit 2 days. Squeeze out excess solution & throw in dryer w/ wet clothes. Put used strip back in liquid solution to reuse

Laundry detergent 

1 bar bar soap - I used Aloe scented Ivory soap

1 cup washing soda - Arm & Hammer brand

1 cup borax powder - 50 Mules Team brand

1/2 cup oxi clean - Generic works just fine (I have a recipe for this too)

Cheese grater

5 Gallon bucket with lid (got mine at Lowe's for around $5)

Shave the bar of soap down using a cheese grater (might want to buy one at the dollar store just for this purpose) Boil a gallon of water in a large pot. Mix in grated soap stir until dissolved. Pour into bucket. Add rest of ingredients and stir until dissolved. Add enough hot tap water to fill the bucket. Stir again and then place the top on it and put it to the side. Let sit 24 hours, stirring 3 or 4 times.

**The mixture will thicken but there WILL be chucks that gather at the top. This is OK!

When 24 hours have passed, give it a good stir again, mushing up any big pieces with your hands. Pour in an empty, clean liquid laundry soap container half way up with the soap mixture and fill the rest up with warm water. Use as you would normally use liquid laundry soap. You can also use a drink pitcher if you do not have an empty, clean laundry soap container. I also picked this up @ the dollar store.

Homemade Windex

1 Empty Windex Spray Bottle

1/8 Cup (1oz) White Ammonia

1/4 Cup (4oz) Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol

1 Drop Laundry Detergent

Water - To Fill The Bottle 

Fake Bisquick

1 Bag of Flour (5lb. bag)

5 Teaspoons Salt

20 Teaspoons Sugar

2/3 Cup Baking Powder

2 Cups Shortening (Crisco Style, no butter or margarine)

First, dump the flour into the bowl and add all of the other dry ingredients.  Using a whisk, mix the dry ingredients together.

Next, measure out the 2 Cups of shortening and put it on top of your dry ingredients.

Take your rings and your watch off, cause it's time to put your hands into it!  Mix the shortening into the dry ingredients using your hands.  This doesn't take as long as you might think.

Keep mixing and rubbing the shortening in until there are no visible pieces of shortening left and the mixture seems uniform.  Don't forget to dig deep and get the dry ingredients on the bottom of the bowl, too!  I like to put some of the mixture in between my hands and rub them together to achieve uniformity and to feel for small bits of shortening.

You can tell it's done when the mixture has the texture of cornmeal and it can form a ball when pressed together.

That's it!  Now you can put it into storage bags.  I divided mine into three bags of 8 Cups each, which is the same amount you get in one regular box of Bisquick.

Fake Bisquick can stay in your pantry for up to one year...just like the real thing!  Use it as you would in any Bisquick recipe...or split it up into individual Shake'N'Pour Pancake Mixes.

If you wanted to use your Bisquick solely for making pancakes, you could scoop 2 Cups of mix into a Quart Size Mason Jars, yielding 12 jars of Fake Shake'N'Pour pancake mix! 

Fake Febreze

1/8 Cup of Your Favorite Fabric Softener

2 Tablespoons Baking Soda

Hot Tap Water - To Fill the Bottle to the Top

Put everything in a clean spray bottle and shake.

Fake Comet

Mix 2 parts baking soda and1 part bleach and stir.

It should make a nice paste.

Natural Shampoo

2 cups liquid Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap (I used the citrus orange)

½ cup honey

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

Mix together in container. It comes out pretty runny so I put it in a foaming hand soap container and it works perfect! Even hubby who is skeptical of the whole "make your own natural products" liked it.

Homemade Body Wash/ Hand Soap

1 bar soap - grated (I used the Aloe Ivory bar I used to make my laundry detergent)

1 Gallon boiling water

Once soap is dissolved, let cool just so it won't burn you and pour in a used, clean body wash container. Let sit overnight and it will gel up. Use as normal.

Yes, this makes one GALLON of liquid soap from ONE bar of soap. My cost: $0.40!

Wrinkle Release Spray (Fake Downey Wrinkle Releaser)

Equal parts fabric softener (I used my watered down version that I use for re-usable dryer sheets), white vinegar, and water. Mix in spray bottle and use!

Body Butter

Coconut oil (found in the baking aisle at the grocery store)

Essential oil of your choice.

I scooped a little out into a tiny (snack size) plastic container and added just a few drops of essential oils of your choice. You can leave this out if you don't mind it being unscented. It healed my daughter's eczema overnight. I also use as a hair balm and conditioner too!

Homemade Oxiclean Recipe

1 cup water

1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide

1/2 cup washing soda 

Mix all ingredients together and store in a dark spray bottle. Spray on soiled laundry and let it sit overnight. Or, if you have a number of clothes that are soiled, you make up a batch of this and soak them in it overnight. 

Homemade Modpodge

Equal parts Elmer's liquid glue and water

Put in container and shake!

Homemade Eye Makeup Remover

1 cup distilled water

¼ teaspoon Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap (unscented baby-mild is best)

1 teaspoon olive oil

Combine water, castile soap, and oil in a glass jar or plastic soap container (I found a perfect one in the travel sized section at Target next to the health and beauty section) and shake to mix. Apply solution to cotton ball and remove makeup as you normally would.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrissysnow22
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Thanks for sharing. That's a lot of great recipes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlancosBows
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Wlcome! I forgot two but and adding them now

chrissysnow22
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Cool. I need to write all mine down too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Holy smokes this post is amazing!!! It should be stickied....hmmmm

mammapav
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM

This is wonderful !!!!! Thank You very much for sharing !!!!

nmaxwell816
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Thanks for sharing

carmndomsmom
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM

These are great! Thank you so much :)

BlancosBows
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Welcome ladies. I have emailed this list at least 5 times in the last 2 days! Lol

evansmommy802
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM
What a great post! Thank you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Cool there's some here I didn't have yet!  TFS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)