Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going Homemade can save $$.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM
  • 26 Replies
4 moms liked this
In these difficult times, saving every penny can count. I'm fully aware of this as I (patiently) await disability approval and my DH was laid off a 11 1/2 months ago. One of the ways I save a ton (aside from extreme Couponing)? Making many house-hold products at home. This includes cleaners, detergents, breads, pastas, etc. so, I can build my stock room w/ coupons, for an even tighter financial time. So I thought we could all post some of our favorite homemade recipes.

These are also great for those w/ allergies or special needs families where strong odors are a problem.

Laundry Detergant.

Ingredients/supplies:
* 1 medium size plastic bin
* 2 bars washing soap. I like Dial for its soft scent, many of my more natural friends prefer to use Castile
*1 box Borax (at Walmart for about $3)
* I box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (about $4 at health food store)

Process:
1. Finely grate soap bars. I have a grater that I use only for this purpose, but I know some like to use an electric chopper.
2. Pour grated soap on yor bin.
3. Pour in boxes of washing soap and borax
4. Mix very well. It's ok to be a little clumpy, but make sure the soap is completely mixed in.

Use:
I usually use my measuring cup to mix bucked a couple of times just before scooping. Then use about 1/2 cup for a large load.

Savings/Cost:
Cost = about $10 (w/o coupons...but who does that?? Lol)
Cost of regular detergent about $10 for about 20 loads.
The homemade lasts about 4 months in our house and we do a LOT of laundry. I used to buy 1 detergent every 5 weeks, so the savings is ...
Store bought = about $40/4 months, Homemade = about $10/4 months!! That saving about $80/ year!!!

Fabric Softener

Supplies:
*1 20 oz jug Vinegar
* 3 drops essential oil.

Procedure:
1. Put about 3-4 drops of essential oil into vinegar jug
2. Screw cap on tightly, shake vigorously

Use:
During the rinse cycle, for a large load, add about 2Tbs vinegar mix. This will cut static, soften fabric & remove any soap residue (and it cleans your washer!)

Savings/Cost
Homemade will cost about $6 a year (as the 1 jug lasts about a year)!
Store Bought costs about $6/month
That's a savings of about $68/year!!

Dryer Sheets

Supplies:
*1 pkg cheese cloth (an old tee shirt works great as well)
* 3 drops essential oil

Procedure:
1. Cut cloth into 5 inch squares
2. Add about 3 drops of essential oil to center of cloth.

Use
1 cloth can be reused many times. I usually just add a couple of drops of the oil between every 3 loads.

Savings/Cost
Homemade cost is about $6/year as you only need to get the oil
Store bought is about $5/month
That's a savings of about $55/year!!

More to come...
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Jen on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Thanks for sharing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Teething Biscuits

I was so shocked! My eldest has a food allergy to dairy & eggs, and I was shocked that most store bought (and many homemade recipes) had them as ingredients! Here is 1 we used and the kids loved.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 Tbs applesauce

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425
2. Mix all ingredients in bowl w/ wooden spoon to form dough
3. Roll out on floured surface & kneed till nice & smooth
4. Roll out w/ rolling pin to about 1/4 inches thick
5. Cut out w/ cookie cutter (I used the rim of a small glass cup
6. Transfer to greased cookie sheet
7. Bake for about 35 min, until lightly browned
8. Set them aside while on cookie sheet still, and allow to cool overnight, so they can harden

Store in air tight container for up to 2 weeks.

mamabearlehman
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I make my own cleaning spray with 50/50 vinegar & water. I also unclog a slow drain by dumping baking soda down the drain and then vinegar. Let sit for 15 min and run hot water. Works every time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimscorner
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Bump for updates.

I didn't know that about unclogging drains!  One side of my kitchen sink always cloggs!  Can't tell you how much draino I've bought in the 4 years I've lived here!  I'm going to try that next time!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

mammapav
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Quoting mamabearlehman:

I make my own cleaning spray with 50/50 vinegar & water. I also unclog a slow drain by dumping baking soda down the drain and then vinegar. Let sit for 15 min and run hot water. Works every time.

I did not know that about clog drain. About how much baking soda and how much vinegar??? My bathroom sink run slow because of my Hubby shaving. This would save me a lot of money.

mamabearlehman
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM
I never really measure. I guess about 1/8 of a box and a generous pour of vinegar. It will foam up

Quoting mammapav:

Quoting mamabearlehman:

I did not know that about clog drain. About how much baking soda and how much vinegar??? My bathroom sink run slow because of my Hubby shaving. This would save me a lot of money.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammapav
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Thank you you so much!!!

Quoting mamabearlehman:

I never really measure. I guess about 1/8 of a box and a generous pour of vinegar. It will foam up

Quoting mammapav:

Quoting mamabearlehman:

RetroMoe
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Awesome. Thanks for posting this!

willsmoms
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM

I make laundry dertergent. shampoo, dishwasher soap and cleaning supplies. I can get back on tomorrow and post them if anyone is interested.

29crazymama
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:27 PM

How do you make your own shampoo????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)