Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheap Day Out?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM
  • 25 Replies

What do you do for fun with your family on a budget?  We're going to Half Priced Books and The Austin Kite Festival today.  What are you doing?

BadArtWorld.com
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrissysnow22
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:32 AM
I bought a one day pass for a family of 4 to the local for $37 on livingsocial. The price for one kids ticket is reg. price $11

I also bought a 5 pass for up up 3ppl to habitot a kids hands on museum for $30 and that's usually $80

We also like to walk around ikea and dream.

Go to the farmers market.

Movies tix on Tues and Sun are $5 reg tix are $11
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommystiebler
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I'm trying to decide whether to get a family pass to the Adventure Science Center in Nashville. We are about an hour away and it's $65 with a military discount, so for a year, that would be great, but I wonder how often we would actually go.

I like to do story time on Thursdays at our local library. They do story time and let the kids play with instruments and then have a craft. 

If you have an AMF bowling center close to you, they have kids bowl free over the summer. They get 3 free games per day and you pay shoe rental. I know Regal Cinemas also has a kids movie day over the summer as well. It's normally a G or PG rated one that has already left theaters, but it's free! There are also museums who do free stuff over the summer. I had a post awhile back about it. I need to find it again! Granted these are all free over the summer, but that will be here before we know it!

Ametrine
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:23 AM

We get together with family and play games and talk.

Hubby and I live on some land, so a lot of time is spent outdoors with the animals and on projects.  Hubby made a workbench for DS (5), and he helps him with his own projects. 

We also go to the library and storytime and sometimes take family trips to the park.

BlancosBows
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Packed a picnic and took the kids to the park or beach. Not today though cause it's too cold!

specialwingz
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG, we are "neighbors"!  I live in Buda, just 20 miles south of Austin.  We LOVE the kite festival!  It's the most amazing free fun ever!  We also like to go to the Botanical Gardens!

KenzieQsMommy
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Groupon often has some good deals for activites. I also like to just pack a picnic when its nice enough and go down by the river. We find fun in the mundane. Walking around the flea market or even different pawn shops. Just to look around, though you never know! I also take advantage when museums and stuff around me have free days.

allbad3308
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Thanks Moms'

My kids are older but we still spend  a lot of time at the park( Skate Park), hiking, swimimng and we go to the museums, markets and stuff. 

BadArtWorld.com
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Go to the skate park.  Go kayaking.  Go fishing.  Go biking on the trails.

My uncle has a log cabin and ponds for swimming.  We are often there on summer afternoons/evenings.

All are free.

reindeergames
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Where I used to live we did all kinds of things for free! They had festivals that were free if not super cheap, children's musems had free nights or extra events for the price of admittance plus our library had half off passes we could reserve, playgroup was free & we made friends with everyone there so we'd do things outside of playgroup, beaches were awesome those were completely free, we had this awesome place where you could paint & take with super cheap pieces to buy, the mall had a kids playing area, etc. 

Now where we live, none of that. So we just hit up the playgrounds every so often, do craft projects, etc. 

jody230
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Our city does a lot of free events. Movies in the park are one of our favorite summerime activities. In the winter sled riding the park. We pack a picnic of hot chocolate and sandwiches. Our high school has friday night swimming. I can get a pass worth 10 swims for $30. Our library also offers progams that are free.  If you look around the web, you can usually find cheap activities. I get a weekly email from livingpittsburgh that tellsof free and cheap events. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)