Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How many of you do this?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

I buy seasonings in bulk...I make my own seasoning mixes for tacos, or spagetti and store it in small tupper ware containers OR old seasoning bottles...I store the HUGE bottles at  the top...not like I can reach them anyway so my already mixed MIXES are ready for me to grab..saves me time and money to just refill a bottle or mix in a bowl and put in a different bottle....am I alone in this? I'm sure it's cheaper than buying the packets of taco mix and what not...if I FEEL it's needed I have cornstarch available to thicken as well if I'm making somthing saucy

by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katiebug840204
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM
No i dont do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EbonySnow
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

we do that

paolap
by Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I would love to do this. How do you know what spices to use and how much of each? I know that this probably is a dumb question... 

MandiFuego
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Quoting paolap:

I would love to do this. How do you know what spices to use and how much of each? I know that this probably is a dumb question... 

I just taste things, but I've also been cooking since I was 8...if it's something new....like I learned taco seasoning from reading the packets at the store and then just tasting different amounts to see what I liked a little bit of this, a bit of that but I try to remember what I used most of....but my family has already told me nothing ever taste the same lol but they like it so I guess it works for us... just don't fill the bottles too full because things might settle so you'll need room to mix things back up while shaking it...and a funnel makes it easier to get things into bottles.

Ametrine
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM

You make your own mixes?

I don't do that, but I can see how much it must save.

Would you post your recipes?  *wink*

MandiFuego
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Quoting Ametrine:

You make your own mixes?

I don't do that, but I can see how much it must save.

Would you post your recipes?  *wink*

:) ok, I'm running out of "italian mix" ( I use it to infuse olive oil  for french bread and season sauce for spagetti) I'll probably be mixing some more in the next coming weeks, so I'll be sure to post... Oh, but, I must let you know, we don't use much salt so it's never in my mixes (being pregnant I was craving it, but I just added it to my portions, I LOVE sea salt right now lol)

I also do one for pollo caribe ( it's just chicken, but with island flavor) Well see what I come up with after meat shopping on Sunday! I'd love to share lol hopefully I can give you guys accurate amounts

perezamberly
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 4:34 AM
That is way cool! Personally I don't do that because it's just my husband and I and I don't cook that kind of stuff often enough to save money on it, however, for big families, I can see where it would be extremely beneficial. For example, a thing of taco seasoning is .50 at Walmart. It's cheaper for me to buy 1-2 of those since I make tacos maybe 3 times a year than to buy several different spices in bulk probably around $6 a piece at least. So I save money just buying the packet. That is really awesome that you have the ability to just taste and cook:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I do.

I make my own taco seasoning, ranch dressing mix, Italian dressing mix, Italian seasoning mix, chili seasoning mix, and spaghetti sauce mix.  I also make my own taco sauce, salsa, ketchup, alfredo sauce, French dressing, enchilada sauce, sloppy joe sauce, and much more.

things4us5
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I do. I  have 3 different storages for spices. One is my homemade mixes (taco,chili,spagetti,sausage gravy,fahitia,steak  ect). One is baking spices and the third is all my bottles of the $1 spice containers that I use as needed.   My SO has gotten used to the fact that I don't salt things either.I  serve him his plate and hand him the salt lol.  I don't want the kids or I consuming even half as much salt as he likes.

mammapav
by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I would love to learn how to make my own mixes and dressings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN