Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Growing tomatoes

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM
  • 9 Replies

I plan on giving this a try this year.  Does anyone have any pointers?  Is the topsy turvey thing good?

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
nailz98
by Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I know quite a few people who tried the topsy turvey thing and didnt' have any luck. Their tomatoes were small and would rot before they rippened if theyr'e were lucky enough to grow.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I grow tomatoes every year.  The idea behind the topsy turvy is that the nutrients would be drawn by gravity to the plant and fruit, but the problem seems to be that the roots (at the top) still need water, and to keep them moist requires overwatering the rest of the plant.  Tomatoes don't need a lot of space if you give them something to climb, however. 

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM
I want to try also
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chichiwvu
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I just bought a plant, a bamboo stake (they recommended a tomato cage, but i'll take $1 to $10 any day, LOL) and a larger planter. My mom always liked growing tomatoes in a container, and i'm giving it a try this year. It was around $15 for everything (I bought a smaller, drought resistant strain - it gets HOT here).

My biggest thing was knowing what kind to get- there were about 15 different varieties to choose from. It was confusing! We knew we wanted slicer tomatoes, so that narrowed it to 7... then I just kinda looked at every tag.  I'm growing strawberries in a container too.. both say they need around 18-24" for growth. We'll see! I have a traditionally brown thumb, so i'm excited. If this goes well, I'm doing a raised bed next year.

heathercm26
by Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Tomatoes are pretty easy....does your family eat tons of slicers or would the littwle ones get munched more often.?.?. You decide but the topsy turvy thing doesnt improve outcomes in my experience. Stick it in the ground. Keep it watered. Put somre dog poop in the bottom of the pot. It will grow.......

.one really really easy thing in green beans a whole pack of seeds for like 2 bucks. But dont plant em all orr you will have beans coming out your ears. Jlust plant and pick. 5 plantss should give you enough to feed a family of 4 every day. Just take a quart sized bag out to the plants and fill it up every day tgrow it in the freezer after picking the ends off. Pick em when they are little cuz they are better. The more you pick the more you get.....awesome. nothing really fancy needed. Two ice cream buckets and somethingf for the beans to climb.....fence ...post...side of deck...balcony whatever
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nmaxwell816
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Thanks everyone!  Sounds like spending the $5 for the topsy turvey thing would be a waste

amandakrysa
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Anything in a pot will need to be watered daily and when you turn it upside down the roots will not get to sit in the wet soil so it doesn't work at all. The trick with tomatoes is they need heat to turn red, not necessarily sunshine so even if they only get morning sun, the heat of the day will still help turn them red. We grow every kind of tomato and my 2 yr old and 7 yr old eat cherry toms like grapes right off the plant, they love that! We take a bowl of water with a touch of vinegar out with us to wash before we eat.
Tomatoes do need a stake and they love gypsum while they ate flowering :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleacorn
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM
If you need them in a container, a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom works WAY better than a Topsy Turvy. It sounds gross, but having your fellas pee on the base of the plant can increase your yield by like 4x!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)