Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Medical transcription?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:31 PM
  • 5 Replies

Anyone do medical transcription at home?  Is it legit/worth the time/pay a decent amount?

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momto3isme
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM
When I worked for a podiatrist we hired a woman to do the transcription at home. She did it for approximately one year. She wasn't getting it done in a timely manner so the receptionist started today type it. Its worth it if you are doing transcription for more than one practice. You also have to know medical terminology a lot of doctors are hard to understand on tape and mumble
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3isme
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Oh I forgot to add she would pick up the new tapes and drop off completed records it was getting to expensive for her. Some charge per word some charge per line and some charge per page.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahsmama09
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I heard most places will not hire you until you have 2 yrs experience, or worked for them in the office for at least 2 yrs, and then took it home after that. You could call around in your area and see what they say. I looked into it for me, and no one in my area does it:(
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I got the idea because my son's allergist uses a dictaphone.  But he has it to his mouth whether doing notes or talking to us.  Also I have no experience.

Quoting elijahsmama09:

I heard most places will not hire you until you have 2 yrs experience, or worked for them in the office for at least 2 yrs, and then took it home after that. You could call around in your area and see what they say. I looked into it for me, and no one in my area does it:(


specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Exactly this.  I have friends who do it at home.  But, they had to take classes for the medical terminology and work in the office for 2 years before they could do it at home.  You have to build a raport with the office before they will trust you at home with such confidential records.  Things have to be spelled correctly with NO errors, as even the slightest error could mean something drastic.  So, strong knowledge of medical terminology is a must.  It helps you understand what the doctor is saying and helps you record it correctly.  Remember, these are someone's medical records.  I checked into classes at our local community college.  The Dean of Medical told me that 95% of the people taking the course were people whose employers requested them to do so.  The other 5% do it on their own and rarely find a job outside of the office setting.

Quoting elijahsmama09:

I heard most places will not hire you until you have 2 yrs experience, or worked for them in the office for at least 2 yrs, and then took it home after that. You could call around in your area and see what they say. I looked into it for me, and no one in my area does it:(


Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)