Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How prepared are you?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM
  • 25 Replies

Today was the Great Utah Shake Up to try and ready people for a large Earthquake in this region that is apparently overdue. Going through my house I realized, I AM NOT prepared for a natural disaster at all. Growing up in NM we rarely dealt with anything, occasional flooding, a tornado over 20 years ago in Albuquerque but really nothing like a 7.0 earthquake that is expected here in Utah. They published this site to assist people with what is needed and I wanted to share with others this link. I spent the morning working with my kids on what to do during an earthquake

Are you prepared for natural disasters in your area?

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
semi-funMom
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

no - we never have big problems, so I haven;t been very proactive.

One thing to be sure to include in your planning -- PETS. How to protetct, plan for emergencies, etc.

good for you for working with your kids on this

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM
We have nothing which is kinda scary....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cole679
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM
We have enough food n water for a few months. And we have 6 months worth of Diabetic supplies for my Dd. That's the scariest thing to think about if the world goes to shit, having insulin for my 6 yr old. Soon as shit hits the fan we are robbing drugs stores....we re looking a generator. And need to get more oil for lamps, batteries and Id like more food supplies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM

The only natural disasters we have in our area are the rare tornado and blizzards.  We're used to it, so we stay prepared. 

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM
On the site there was a section for pets, somethings I would never think of.

The kids are still talking about it. :) hopefully they'll remember.

Quoting semi-funMom:

no - we never have big problems, so I haven;t been very proactive.

One thing to be sure to include in your planning -- PETS. How to protetct, plan for emergencies, etc.

good for you for working with your kids on this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM

No.  Our biggest problem was over last Halloween, we had a major snow storm and lost power for a week. We didn't have a generator so stayed at my parents who had a wood burning stove.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM
We have a stockpile, I am starting to rethink its location. Might have to move it to an area more accessible.

Quoting cole679:

We have enough food n water for a few months. And we have 6 months worth of Diabetic supplies for my Dd. That's the scariest thing to think about if the world goes to shit, having insulin for my 6 yr old. Soon as shit hits the fan we are robbing drugs stores.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tottaxi
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I go back and forth from preparedness to not being prepared at all.  I start dipping into my stores, planning to replenish them and then don't do it.  I am usually more prepared in the winter because of snow storms, but this area has its share of power outages all year long.  Plus we are on a fault line and in Tornado Alley for my state. 

Thanks for reminding me that I have something else I need to attend to...

starbeck96
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM

We are kind of prepared.  I definitely could use some more stuff, but we do have alot of canned goods.  We definitely need more water and dog food.

We live in AL so tornadoes are fairly common.  That is our biggest concern.  In the winter if we have any ice at all, we lose power, so I am usually a little more prepared at that time... The problem with us, is that we have no where to store everything in the case of a tornado.  We don't have a storm shelter, we have to leave our house.   I could only hope that if a tornado hit our house, our canned good and waters could be found..

bookworm14
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM
There was a show on Discovery about people building bunkers for end-of-the-world events or natural disasters. I couldn't believe the money spent for that!!

I'm not one to go & stockpile for the what-ifs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)