Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Today was the Great Utah Shake Up to try and ready people for a large Earthquake in this region that is apparently overdue. Going through my house I realized, I AM NOT prepared for a natural disaster at all. Growing up in NM we rarely dealt with anything, occasional flooding, a tornado over 20 years ago in Albuquerque but really nothing like a 7.0 earthquake that is expected here in Utah. They published this site to assist people with what is needed and I wanted to share with others this link. I spent the morning working with my kids on what to do during an earthquake

Are you prepared for natural disasters in your area?

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Apr. 17, 2012 at 4:00 PM
I agree that is extreme, but ours isn't what ifs. It's past due historically, and Utah is like California known to have earthquakes.

It's just like I taught the kids about fire safety and poor safety. Things happen, and knowledge is power.

Quoting bookworm14:

There was a show on Discovery about people building bunkers for end-of-the-world events or natural disasters. I couldn't believe the money spent for that!!

I'm not one to go & stockpile for the what-ifs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spcmom
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I am very prepared.I have enough canned food to last LEAST 3 months. I also have toilet paper, soap, toothpaste etc... I have propane and several ways to cook and /or heat. Don't forget , your water heated holds 50 gallons of clean water!!

I feel better knowing that we are prepared for any kind of situation. I keep is all very organized and accessible

mammapav
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM

We are prepare for snow storm.

mom2aspclboy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Yes we are. DH's job is of the "feast or famine" type, so I keep the pantry well stocked with food & personal care items, because there's always a chance that he will be without work for months at a time & with limited funds coming in, I don't want to have to worry about where our next meal is coming from. We are also in an area that gets a little bit of everything when it comes to extreme weather. We've had earth tremors, tornadoes, severe electrical storms, cloud bursts, severe wind storms and blizzards, which have resulted in power outages, no water, and no way to get to a store for weeks at a time, so we keep appropriate supplies on hand for "just in case". We've only had to use them a couple of times, but that's more than enough to justify being ready all the time.

momto3isme
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM
We are we always have a stock pile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cstargarner
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM

not really.  We had a tornado when I was in 3rd grade and I don't remember any really close to us since then but we get hurricanes.  I was just talking to hubby about this the other day- how I don't think i'd want to live anywhere else bc I couldn't handle the tornado/ earthquake.. problems.  At least with hurricanes we usually have enough notice to evacuate.  I'd be crazy paranoid all the time if I had to deal with the others.  My parents had over 2 ft of water in their house after Hurricane Ike so that was awful to deal with, clean up..  but at least we knew ahead of time to grab what was most important.

As for how prepared we are- we usually have quite a bit of canned food, bottled water..  I know if we had to evacuate we'd leave early and go to my grandma's house.  We also have flashlights scattered all aorund the house.  Otherwise we don't have anything specifically for that.

dietsunkist
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this
No but I live in Louisiana so I should be prepared in case of hurricanes because everything is crazy when one is on the way!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlancosBows
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Lol, my church just had a preparedness fair this past Saturday and I did a booth with all my homemade cleaners. It was awesome! within 5 miles of my house (and my house too) had a tornado (that killed 8 people), an earthquake and a hurricane within six months, the last two within a week! It is reality to us to be prepared. We lost power from the hurricane but because I packed my freezer with bottles of water and the fridge with frozen bottles of water, we lost no food. My cousin, who live 3 miles away, did not lose power, but had no food, so we took our food over to their house and they cooked it! It was fun, and we both benefited.

bayoumama1981
by Member on Apr. 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Quoting dietsunkist:

No but I live in Louisiana so I should be prepared in case of hurricanes because everything is crazy when one is on the way!

I too live in Louisiana. Way down south, i do hae a stock pile of food, and other supplies to last my family a year. Our home is raised 10 feet ing the air. We do indeed have everything we need for a while. However theres a few more thing we can always use more of...gas,etc.

*******GROUP OWNERS OF CUTTING CORNERS*****

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Here lately, the biggest threat has been wild fires.  Not sure just HOW to prep for those.  LOL.  Otherwise, its the possibility of tornadoes or flash floods.  We do have the occasional hurricane scare when they come up from the Gulf of Mexico.

And, no, we're really not prepped for any of that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)