Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

buying a cow

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM
  • 28 Replies

I am looking into buying a whole cow and all the place i am finding is 3 to 6 hrs away if not more and i really want to do this because i feel it will last me a long time and i would not have to worry about it so much

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM
When I was a kid my parents would buy a cow and lamb. It would last us months( family of 6), we lives in the country and had access to chickens, ducks, rabbits, and local ranchers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Interesting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tazmidgiefairy
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM

i got the idea from michanmom

cole679
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:31 AM
That's the only way we buy beef. But this is Ohio and I can drive down any road and find a cow farm. It's more expensive up front, but cheaper in long run. First time we bought 1/4 cow for $300 from a friend of ours but he didn't exercise his cows much so they were fatty. The second time we went with another guy and just got $200 of meat. I'm outta gr beef already but still have steaks, roasts, hamb parties and rib eye.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Buying a whole cow is definitely cheaper and worth the drive.  We paid $2.61/lb. this year for all cuts and ground beef.  Do you have a big enough freezer?

nmaxwell816
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Wow...I've never thought of buyng a whole cow before.  i don't have the room to do that though

meam4444
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

We actually raise cows and sell them to friends and family.  We also butcher for our own use too.  It works out great.  We usually charge them the hanging weight that the locker tells us and they also tell us the quality of the meat and how much we should charge who is buying it from us.  Also, those who are buying it are responsible for their own processing.

Good luck with your purchase!  :)

_Mrs.H_
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

This is something we have been talking about but not really sure how to find where to buy.

meam4444
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:08 PM

You can always call a meat locker, and they usually have a list of people who they are willing to recommend for other who are looking for meat.  Or, sometimes, they will have a quarter or half of an animal waiting to be purchased that someone had left over and waiting to be purchased.

Quoting _Mrs.H_:

This is something we have been talking about but not really sure how to find where to buy.

KenzieQsMommy
by Heather on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM
I wish we had the space
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN