Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I am looking into buying a whole cow and all the place i am finding is 3 to 6 hrs away if not more and i really want to do this because i feel it will last me a long time and i would not have to worry about it so much

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Replies (21-28):
LucyHarper
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Depends on where you get it, we've always gotten them from local farms, we do odd jobs in exchange for it and know the farmers well, and they have always butchered it or at least helped butcher it for us, but I dont know about if you order it from a place, I assume they will butcher it into cuts.

Quoting chichiwvu:

I'm curious when you buy your cow portion, do they butcher it for you? Or do you do it yourself? Or take it to someone?

LucyHarper
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:02 PM

We have a 15 cubic feet freezer and a whole cow just about fills it with a little extra room.

Quoting SandraJo:

This.
My husband wants to buy a deep freezer once we PCS. What size would we need?

Quoting chichiwvu:

I'm curious when you buy your cow portion, do they butcher it for you? Or do you do it yourself? Or take it to someone?

jody230
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Quoting cole679:

That's the only way we buy beef. But this is Ohio and I can drive down any road and find a cow farm. It's more expensive up front, but cheaper in long run. First time we bought 1/4 cow for $300 from a friend of ours but he didn't exercise his cows much so they were fatty. The second time we went with another guy and just got $200 of meat. I'm outta gr beef already but still have steaks, roasts, hamb parties and rib eye.

Where do you get meat from. I currently am using a farm in PA, but we are looking to make a switch.

jody230
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I foun a lot of farms on the website. Eatwild.com. It separates them by state. I know thre are more out there, but his is a good place to start.

cole679
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1st cow we got from a long time friend. The 2nd one we got from a co worker of hubbys. Also my neighbour has cows, CJ meats is his company name. Where are in NW Ohio, were are you located??

Quoting jody230:

Quoting cole679:

That's the only way we buy beef. But this is Ohio and I can drive down any road and find a cow farm. It's more expensive up front, but cheaper in long run. First time we bought 1/4 cow for $300 from a friend of ours but he didn't exercise his cows much so they were fatty. The second time we went with another guy and just got $200 of meat. I'm outta gr beef already but still have steaks, roasts, hamb parties and rib eye.

Where do you get meat from. I currently am using a farm in PA, but we are looking to make a switch.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jody230
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM

We are in Pittsburgh. I found Cj's when I googled it. It's about 5 hours. That might be a bit too far. There is a place near Erie we are looking at, it's about 3 hours. The good thing is their meat is sold at a store that is about 40 minutes away from us, so we can try it before we commit to a 1/2 a cow.

Quoting cole679:

1st cow we got from a long time friend. The 2nd one we got from a co worker of hubbys. Also my neighbour has cows, CJ meats is his company name. Where are in NW Ohio, were are you located??

Quoting jody230:

Quoting cole679:

a_and_j_momma
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:42 AM
I buy a half a cow every year. The meat lasts me all year. It is so much cheaper and lots better
midgies_attic
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Had to laugh. Thought you wanted to buy a cow! Was thinking of nice hereford for milk. Get her in calf to beef bull and fatten the calf for freezer. Then realised you wanted one already butchered. Oops! Another dizzy moment there :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)