Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade "pesticide" for my garden?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 14 Replies
I'm growing a garden and just noticed that some leaves and the fruit are being damaged from little pests. I don't want to add anything toxic to my garden, but I don't want all of my hard work to go to these little pests. Any recommendations?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littleacorn
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM
What kind of pests?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caseyloo
by Casey on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Marigolds can help depending on what kind of pests you have.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I use a water/dishsoap mix for earwigs and bugs like that. There is a way to companion garden and add different herbs that keeps bugs away. https://www.thriftyandgreen.com/blogs/family-focus/natural-garden-pest-control-through-companion-planting

chinosruca
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Ortho Elementals has an organic pesticide. Also, Neem oil is organic & effective. Marigolds do help, a little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I use the water/dishsoap, too. Except, I boil the water with a little cayenne pepper in it before I mix it in with the soap.  Something an old gardening buddy taught me that seems to work pretty well.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

I use a water/dishsoap mix for earwigs and bugs like that. There is a way to companion garden and add different herbs that keeps bugs away. https://www.thriftyandgreen.com/blogs/family-focus/natural-garden-pest-control-through-companion-planting

AzariahsMother
by Lynsey on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM
I dont have a green thumb, so I am no help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Vinegar in a little water will help with fruit flies. Cut hair sprinkled on the ground around the carden will keep rabbits out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM
What's the ratio for this?? I have insects - my strawberries are half picket at, some of the leaves on my jalapeƱo plant are eaten...Thanks for wveryone's replies!

Quoting specialwingz:

I use the water/dishsoap, too. Except, I boil the water with a little cayenne pepper in it before I mix it in with the soap.  Something an old gardening buddy taught me that seems to work pretty well.

Quoting DawnPratt23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama4
by Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Soapy water works. DE dusted on works too.

Marigolds work to keep bugs away too.

Also, the healthier the plants, the less pests you have to worry about!

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, then loved for who I'm not"-Montgomery Gentry

Life and Times of a Redneck Woman 

Do you swag:O)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)