Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Walmart fight against hunger

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM
  • 7 Replies

Walmart is inviting customers to join the fight against hunger. You can help provide meals to families in need by purchasing select products in Walmart stores or by visiting Walmart's Facebook page to vote for one of 200 communities to receive $1 million to fight hunger. We'll also give $50,000 to 20 communities with the next highest amount of support. Currently videos for Planters, Mio, and Jello. 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
specialwingz
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I will go and check this out!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Sorry, I won't shop at Walmart and I don't advocate giving unhealthy foods to hungry people when what they need are healthy foods.

MommaLis5
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Sorry, I won't shop at Walmart and I don't advocate giving unhealthy foods to hungry people when what they need are healthy foods.

erm... what's that got to do with anything?  no one said anything about giving unhealthy food to hungry people... they just said they are giving 1 million dollars to them... nothing about Doritos.... also walmart sells MANY healthy foods, I feed my family quite well from Walmart and Krogers (not everyone can raise their own cattle you know lol)... so I'm not sure what the correlation is.

--Insanity is hereditary.  You get it from your children.family in the van

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM

To support this, I would need to buy sponsored food products from Walmart that I would rather see in the garbage than feed to my dog. 

You're right....IF the money is given to community people then they have the choice to spend it as they choose.  However, every food program that I've worked with buys cheap i.e. unhealthy foods that will fill hungry bellies but leave the people malnourished.  Why?  because it's cost-effective. 

This is JMO.

(Oh, and I don't raise my own cattle, either, and I can feed my family of 3 adults, 2 teen boys, and a tween girl an extremely healthy diet with at least 1/2 of our daily food intake coming from veggies or fruits for $400 or less a month....and I still don't step foot in Walmart.)

Quoting MommaLis5:

Quoting michiganmom116:

erm... what's that got to do with anything?  no one said anything about giving unhealthy food to hungry people... they just said they are giving 1 million dollars to them... nothing about Doritos.... also walmart sells MANY healthy foods, I feed my family quite well from Walmart and Krogers (not everyone can raise their own cattle you know lol)... so I'm not sure what the correlation is.

MommaLis5
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

(Oh, and I don't raise my own cattle, either, and I can feed my family of 3 adults, 2 teen boys, and a tween girl an extremely healthy diet with at least 1/2 of our daily food intake coming from veggies or fruits for $400 or less a month....and I still don't step foot in Walmart.)

I'd be interested in how you feed your family that much fresh fruits and veggies for $400 a month when apples alone are $1.79 a pound.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Quoting MommaLis5:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I'd be interested in how you feed your family that much fresh fruits and veggies for $400 a month when apples alone are $1.79 a pound.

It's all in how I shop and where I shop.

I don't buy apples by the pound.  I buy them by the 3 lb. bag for $2.49.  A 4 lb. bag of oranges is $2.99.   Bell peppers and avocados are 79¢ each.  Kiwi are 3/$1.  I can buy 3 heads of romaine for $1.79 (cheaper than Walmart's price).  Vine-ripened tomatoes are 99¢/lb.  I can buy 3 lb. bag of carrots for $1.99.  Asparagus is 89¢/lb.  10 lb. bag of potatoes is $2.99.  I have a garden in the summer, so most produce is free during that season.

Real butter is $2.09 (and I know that's cheaper than Walmart).  Cheese is 1.59 for 8 oz.   I buy fresh eggs from pastured chickens for $1.50/dozen.  I found grass-fed beef for $2.61/lb. for all cuts.    Chickens cost us 85¢/lb. for all cuts.

I buy almond and coconut flour in bulk, along with honey, nuts, and spices.  We don't eat grains or grain foods such as pasta, cereal, or bread so that saves us quite a bit.  We also don't drink milk or eat yogurt, and that saves us around $40 a month.

I plan our meals to make the best use of the foods on hand, and I make all of our meals from scratch.  No boxed food products or meals from cans.

By following a nutrient dense diet, our bodies are well nourished and don't require as much food as the typical person.  Thus, we eat less than the typical family and don't get hungry.  We rarely need snacks.

MommaLis5
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM

ah, no grains and no milk or yogert... that menu would get me skinned alive by everyone, including the 7 month old lol (especially since her food is at least 50% milk and grains)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)