• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My attempts at being frugal. This is new to me.

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM
  • 24 Replies

Sooo, I've never been a frugal person. But I'm wanting to make some changes in my life. So here' what I'm doing to get a start.

*I HATE washing dishes. I've always used a dishwasher. But even with our dishwasher being new I swear the thing runs for 2 hours. So I've decided to start washing my dishes by hand. That way I'll conserve water & electricity. Plus, they get cleaner.

*My husband and I are going to put a clothesline in our backyard. We're a small family of 3 but I still do 2 loads on average a day. I know that dryers are electricity hogs. So if I line dry I'll conserve electricity.

Lastly for now I am *thinking* about getting rid of my smart phone. My bill averages $100 a month. I don't need a smart phone . A simple, old school phone would work just fine. Smart phones are a luxury, not a necessity.

So how am I doing ? LOL What things are you frugal about ?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Actually, a dishwasher is usually more energy efficient than washing by hand, especially if you air dry.  On my dishwasher, it has a "normal" cycle and a "china & crystal" settings, along with a few others.  I found out how long each cycle takes and ALWAYS choose the shortest one.  My dishes are always clean.

Line drying is a great idea!

What else to do?  Set your water heater, refrigerator/freezer to lowest settings.  Raise thermostat in summer, lower it in winter to use less electricity/fuel.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Turn off small appliances and gaming systems when not in use.  Set your computer to hibernate when not in use for X amount of minutes.

Make more meals from scratch.

Make your own laundry detergent...very easy to do and use.

RoseWall
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

yay. on going from the smartphone to the regular cell phone. that should save you bunches.

hugs

Mom2Goldilocks
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I've noticed even when the diswaher is on light load it runs about  1 1/2 hours. It's crazy.... Thanks for the tips! My dad is a Master Plumber and just recently checked our water heater. He is a BIG help :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Actually, a dishwasher is usually more energy efficient than washing by hand, especially if you air dry.  On my dishwasher, it has a "normal" cycle and a "china & crystal" settings, along with a few others.  I found out how long each cycle takes and ALWAYS choose the shortest one.  My dishes are always clean.

Line drying is a great idea!

What else to do?  Set your water heater, refrigerator/freezer to lowest settings.  Raise thermostat in summer, lower it in winter to use less electricity/fuel.

matreshka
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm frugal about the phone, I hve a preapid and it works just fine. If I need to get online I just use the computer.  I also feel it frees me from the online world too.

I always wash dishes by hand.  I wish we could dry our clothes outside but our lease has a provision against that.

I coupon and shop sales for groceries, making most meals myself.  Its amazing how much that cuts down on money

I make my own cleaners like a lot of the ladies here too.

I also do a lot of shopping at Salvation army and goodwill, its amazing what you can find there sometimes.

matreshka
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

and we also have everything plugged into powerstrips all together. LIke tv, cable box, stereo. Then computer, printer and lights.  when turn off the whole powerstrip when not in use because if they are plugged in the wall socket they still drain a bit of energy.

pbnfish.sndwch
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Check out a prepaid smartphone. I pay $40/mo for unlimited everything on my android.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTS0303
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM
I agree about the smartphone, I keep mine because right now I have no computer, but last week I had to replace it the screen cracked and I felt so good having a flip phone lol I wasn't constantly waisting time or procrastinating house work playing with the silly phone!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTS0303
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I have seen some good ore paid smart phones as well, my art contract has another year then I'm going to do something different my bill I ls always rediculous and even checking into different carriers. My husband has verizon and pays way less than me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sam.Marie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM
2 moms liked this
My frugal thing is.....
I married a mechanic :p

I don't have cable. I use netflix and hulu.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)