Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Reasons Organic Baby Food Is More Affordable Than We Think - Do you do all organic? If so, how?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

8 Reasons Organic Baby Food Is More Affordable Than We Think

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on April 25, 2012 

In a perfect world, we would all feed our babies all natural, organic fruits and vegetables that were free of pesticides and harmful agents and full of the goodness that will keep them growing strong and healthy. But for many parents, the price difference is limiting.

At Walmart, a 12-pack of Earth's Best Baby Food goes for $19.08 while a 12-pack of Beech Nut might go for more like $12. For many, this price difference is simply too much to handle. And with making one's own baby food, it can be the same.

Simply put: many people believe organic is out of their price range. But it doesn't have to be. Here are eight ways to make organic baby food more affordable:

• Eat out less: I know for us, balancing our bank accounts in order to buy all organic meant cuts elsewhere. We looked at our Starbucks coffees and our lunches/brunches out and our three nights a week of take-out, and we quickly realized there was a lot more room in our food budget that we thought.
  • Buy what you can buy: Certain foods absorb more pesticides than others, so if you can't afford to be all organic, maybe you can afford to be 65 percent organic or only 50 percent, but some is better than none.
  • Make your own baby food: Most of these tips are for people who plan to make their own baby food, but it bears repeating. It isn't expensive and will save enough money on baby food that you CAN afford to buy organic.
  • Shop on sale: It's fine to have a clear idea of what you want, but if you can be flexible, you can find bargains.
  • Shop farmers' markets: Same concept applies here.
  • Shop seasonally: Veggies and fruits are much cheaper in season, even organic ones!
  • Join an organic CSA: One of the best ways to get good organic produce (or even meat) is to join a farm share (Community Supported Agriculture). It's typically a bit cheaper than grocery stores and supports local farmers. Big win all around!
  • Start a garden: If you have outdoor space, why not grow your own organic foods? As your baby grows, she can get it on the fun and learn about gardening herself.

Do you do all organic? If so, how?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amandaellis1
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM
I don't ever buy anything organic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I don't typically buy organic...but I can grow it myself.

I don't have any babies in the house anymore, just a 4 mo granddaughter, but when my kids were little I made a LOT of their baby food from fruits & veggies that I'd picked and canned myself.  My DIL plans to do the same thing for granddaughter.

chinosruca
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:42 PM
I don't do organic. Tge peice of regular food is expensive in Hawaii & organic is crazy. It's $8.99 for a half gallon of milk. It is about $7 for a whole gallon of regular milk. Buying local is even more expensive. I grow a bunch of stuff to keep food costs down, but don't fully go organic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Jen on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM
I dont usually do organic, but i love farmers markets and farm stands and i make all dds food and plan to do the same w lil man
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM
We made our own but not organic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Holy wow. I knew it was more expensive but not that much more!! $7 a gallon?! Its like $3 when its not on sale here in Colorado! $1.97 when its on sale

Quoting chinosruca:

I don't do organic. Tge peice of regular food is expensive in Hawaii & organic is crazy. It's $8.99 for a half gallon of milk. It is about $7 for a whole gallon of regular milk. Buying local is even more expensive. I grow a bunch of stuff to keep food costs down, but don't fully go organic.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I try to eat organic as much as possible, and I am fortunate to live in an area where it is affordable. We made our own for a while and LO switched to table foods, mashed up portions of what we were eating quickly.

specialwingz
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I've always grown my own, as well.  All my kids ate what was served at the table.  Even as infants.  Just mash or blend whatever I cooked for the whole family and it's good to go for the babies.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM

as far as baby food...my son never wanted baby mush so never had an issue

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM

i buy organic now and then ..very expensive

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)