Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

please help me ladies i know this is tottally o/t but i really need opinions piog

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok heres the story! We moved into this apartment when we first got married 2 almost 3 years ago. We have had nothing but trouble since. They take forever to fix stuff if at all! We were young and dumb and first time renters and we didnt know about documenting reports and putting rent in an escrow account so we never did. When it came time to renew our lease we didnt want to but couldnt find anywhere else suitable for rent,.We tried to buy a house but didnt qualify. So we renewed our lease for another year. its gone from bad too worse they fired the old handyman but the new ones just as bad. they have done numerous horrible things includeing spraying bleach treatment on my kitchen floor with out me home and failing to tell me they were doing so i have 2 dog and 2 kids one of them being a young toddler!!! kids have keyed our car theres police here every other day our neighboris a drug dealer who beats up his girlfriend! its not a safe enviroment for my kids anymore. So we finally qualified for a house. We gave them verbal conformation that we were moving twice neither time did they say they needed a written notice or that we would be on the hook for the left over money for the remainder of our lease (7 months). The day before we are moving they call and tell us if we move we will be liable for the rest of the money and that we needed to give them written notice! seriously! they decide to tell us this the day before. So ladies what do I do? i mean I know I have to move I already paid all the closing costs on my house and everything. Staying put is not an option. Do you guys think i have a chance in court even though things are un documented and i dont have money in an escrow? with all the problems we have had? Im not sure since I never sent a certified letter or anything. what do you guys think I should do? do you think I could get off or at least money off in court? Does anyone have any knowledge in this area they are willing to share ?because I dont know anything. Please? Help!

blowing kissesandi

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsexymom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM
No clue never really rented. But here is a bump for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindsi19
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
What does your rental agreement say? If it says you must give written notice and you will be responsible for the remaining months on your lease, then that is what you are responsible for. If your lease was a verbal contract, then it is your word against theirs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Get your contract out and read it. Hard lesson, but always do everything in writing, telephone calls can be argued that they never happened or that's not what the other person understood. Most likely you will be on the hook for the remainder of the rent due. Read the agreement, see what it says and go with it. If theres nothing documented, there's really no court case, except for against you for breaking the agreement. Hard lesson to be learned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

In many states, a verbal contract will stand up in court as well as a written one.  :-/

Quoting Lindsi19:

What does your rental agreement say? If it says you must give written notice and you will be responsible for the remaining months on your lease, then that is what you are responsible for. If your lease was a verbal contract, then it is your word against theirs.

10mimutemommy
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this
My advice would be this. Continue your lease for one more month. Give written notice now. You can still move you are just paying for it for another month. It would be cheaper than the 7 months.

If this does not work (if they have already leased it ect.) Do not go to the property manager... Contact the property owner directly. Tell them all the major violations made by the property management and matinance team such as illegally entering and spraying your apartment without first notifying you of the work and what they were spraying.... Being as there is the possibility of legal action because of this violation the owner will most likely cancel your lease without penalty
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathercm26
by Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM
A lease in itself is an agreement to pay for the length of the lease. Thats what a lease is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nmaxwell816
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Never lived in an apartment..sorry

matreshka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Do you have Legal Aid services in your area? our local wic office has information on renters' rights and we have a legal services non-profit that deals with renters' rights and other issues. I would look into seeing about that, but document what you can remember as accurately as possible.

They have to uphold their end of the lease and if they have broken it you have a good chance of getting out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)