Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

So how do you landscape your front yard for cheap?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a few large flower beds in the front that I need to do something with. I don't have the space to start seedlings in side. Any suggestions, ladies? 8)

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
Audreysmama515
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Look for plants on craigslist people often want to get rid of stuff you just have to dig it up, ask friends that have gardens to divide pereniels in spring/ fall, start plants from seed.

chichiwvu
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:02 PM

you can ask neighbors for clippings of plants you like. Last year I redid my front yard - it was around $300 because I had to replace all the mulch(it was BAD). This year I spent $90, mainly on containers and to replace the annuals I bought last year. It's amazing what just trimming the dogwood, moving the birdbath, and changing the mulch did though.

Before, you can't even really see the house - and that maple was growing on TOP of the weed barrier.

The biggest difference was pruning the dogwood by far. Even before I planted the flowers it was a VAST improvement!

The reason I spent so much was those purple flowers by the birdbath - they were close to $100 for 5 of them. They looked great though!

you can also just buy cheap flowers, like petunias. They spread like wildfire and come in a variety of colors.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM
We have a few azaleas on the side. Haven't touched the front flower bed. Its looks bad but other house repairs and hone improvements and car repairs have had to.come first. Plus I have a black thumb. I'd need help and more time. I have bad allergies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I plant Knockout roses.  They seem to withstand the Texas dry heat better than others.  My Home Depot has them on sale for $8 each right now.  I want to get 4 or 5 while they're on sale!

mem82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Wow! We just bought a tea rose bush by Knockout at Home depot. I hope it doesn't mind stupid Ohio weather. 8)

Quoting specialwingz:

I plant Knockout roses.  They seem to withstand the Texas dry heat better than others.  My Home Depot has them on sale for $8 each right now.  I want to get 4 or 5 while they're on sale!

mem82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Thanks, for the ideas. Keep 'em coming. The family went to Home Depot. Rob wants to double what I was planning to spend. LOL So, now, we are in negotiations. 8)

Ametrine
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM

What (planting) zone are you in?

I suggest following the suggestions for your zone's low-maintenance landscaping. 

mem82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Um Zone 5? We start the first week of May, I think.

UpstateAnnette
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:37 AM

It might be fun to plant some herbs, then you can eat them too.   I am so excited to be doing this next year...we are buying a house, hopefully closing on 7-31 this year.  It will be too late to really plant this year, but I may pick up some perennails at the end of the season when they are on sale.   I think I will dig out some of my husband's grandmothers old bulb flowers.   

can you ask friends/family what perennails they have that they may need thinned out? 

MommyMadness09
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Mulch is pretty cheap and can do wonders. If you get a few bushes, maybe rhododendrons - usually can get them at wal mart for about $10 each. Just put a few of those in there and some nice mulch that really stands out and it will look great! You can try to find some good size rocks will look good in there too. Maybe you can get the kids to paint some rocks for your garden. Google rock gardens and you will find some good ideas. Then you can add plants if your budget changes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)