Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

I am so why can't she?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM
  • 13 Replies
My 8yr old DD got my old iPhone to use as an iPod for her birthday. She loves using it for Netflix, music and age appropriate games. She doesn't have to password for the app store.

She is a straight a student, does all her homework and plays outside when the weather is nice. I also have her do chores around the house and loves helping me cook and entertain the baby. I think she is mature for her age and well rounded. We do have trouble with anxiety so it affects her attitude and behavior so her iPod is always the first thing that gets taken. But when she has do I really need to limit her playtime on it? I mean I'm on my phone all the time even at work. Yet I still do chores and have a life. So should it matter if she chooses to spend her free time on that or another toy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariC67
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry but people who cant put their cell phones down even at work are a pet peeve of mine and if you ask them they say they are getting their work done but they arent, their work is generally crappy and they take twice as long to do a mediocre job at best. Put the damn thing away and focus on what you are doing!

Is this what you want your dd to learn? plus why do you need to be entertained all the time - how about learning how to entertain yourself or how to keep busy. I'm sure there is always something else more benefitial you could be doing like maybe having interaction with a live person not a machine (whether its a smart phone or not it still a machine)

Mami2oneboy
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM
I'm on the phone all the time, and my work is at home, my house is clean I cook and play with my kid, so yeah...
Anyway as long she's doing her chores/homework and playing outside I would say is ok to let her spend her free time with it,my 2 year old has his own itouch he uses it when we go out and he gets bored to watch a cartoon,he gets plenty of interaction etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 3:21 PM
I'm on my phone a lot. My house is clean, my kids are played with. My 4yo has a smart phone (doesn't make or receive calls). He gets in it when he gets bored or wants to play a game without his sister bugging him.

I see no problem with her having the phone as long as she's doing everything you want her to do. She's learning about technology and how it works while she's using it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Melissa on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM

i think its fine for her to use her phone when shes got free time. if shes got all her chores done and her school work done then i dont see a problem with it.

Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I think that encouraging her to do other things with her free time would be to her benefit. It is too easy to zone out in front of a screen and miss out on experiences. Kids who spend too much time interacting with virtual reality and electronics miss out on vital real life skills. Also, I think kids benefit from creative endeavors that allow for problem solving opportunities and a sense of accomplishment, not to mention learning vital skills-critical thinking, tactile ones, and even some life skills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_brownie
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM
This

Quoting Roo1234:

I think that encouraging her to do other things with her free time would be to her benefit. It us too easy to zone ohyt in front of a efren and miss out on experiences. Kids who spend too much time interacting with virtual reality and electronics miss out on vital real life skills. Also, I think kids benefit from creative endeavors that allow for problem solving opportunities and a sense of accomplishment, not to mention learning vital skills-critical thinking, tactile ones, and even some life skills.

specialwingz
by Corey on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I think you are setting yourself up for future disaster.  When you do finally get her a cell phone as a teen or whenever, it could be difficult to rein her back due to data limits.  I know several parents who've done this and are now regretting it.

TheBabyFactory4
by Catherine on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Never thought of that, she can only use it on a wifi network so really only at home or my parents. I don't use Netflix or anything that uses a lot of data away from wifi because we have the lowest data amount available to keep our bill down. So if she is used to only using anything that requires data at home maybe it wont be a big deal, we do have a phone available for her use that's not a smart phone, (because I work overnight and sleep during the day, and my parents are long distance) as of right now I have no plans of her having a smart phone until she can pay her own bill

Quoting specialwingz:

I think you are setting yourself up for future disaster.  When you do finally get her a cell phone as a teen or whenever, it could be difficult to rein her back due to data limits.  I know several parents who've done this and are now regretting it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM
I'm always on my phone too. I'm a very lenient mom so i don't put time limits on stuff like that as long as they are doing other things and keeping up their grades.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nmaxwell816
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I agree with this statement

Quoting lyrick24:

i think its fine for her to use her phone when shes got free time. if shes got all her chores done and her school work done then i dont see a problem with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)